Garage door security

There are various kinds of padlocks. Master has a Discus padlock which exposes little of the shackle.

Another option would be to talk to a locksmith or a security place for suggestions.

Your options are limitless , as long as you acknowledge that whatever you install can be defeated . Some easier than others .
Convenience and security can be mutually exclusive .

Agree.

There are many things that I can/will do based upon my desired security posture at any one given time. My request was quite simple, looking for options for something that locks from the outside. Ideally it could be something that has the assembly on the inside even… just looking for options.

Obviously if a thief wants to get in, they will. And it’s also why I live in a small town with low crime. None of this is rocket science. Just want to make it hard enough that if someone wants to get in, they make a racket. And easy enough that if I want to lock up conveniently with something better than the standard turn lock, I can do that too.

Garage has power. It has two oversized (wider and taller than normal) single bay doors made of wood. Look like they could be original (late 20s), but at least, say from the 50s or 60s. I have power, but will not be putting in power door openers. The doors open very smooth and easily by hand, must have some stout coil springs!

I’ll be upping security on the doors and windows too. Simply so it’s not a target because it’s not on a residential lot, ina residential neighborhood. Just a big garage on an undersized lot…

There are various kinds of padlocks. Master has a Discus padlock which exposes little of the shackle.

Another option would be to talk to a locksmith or a security place for suggestions.

On my other 10 bay garage some I outfit with abus disc locks. They work well.

The OP is looking for lock suggestions for peace of mind. It always makes sense to take some steps to secure something you think maybe a temptation.

I assume you are talking about the heavy duty steel roll up doors. That would be tricky to lock from the outside other then some good heavy duty locks on whatever hardware you choose.

I wonder if the garage has power? something tells me no. But if it does, needless to say, well made POWERFUL motion spotlights out of reach above all points of entry will certainly make even someone who can defeat the locks uncomfortable spending the time to do it if they are lit up like the Empire State Building by the spot lights.

If the garage has no power, for less then $1000 maybe less then $500 you can get a commercial type of solar motion spotlight set up someplace with powerful lights... Im not talking about the cheap ones sold at Home Depot but who knows, if you check Home Depot and Lowes online they may have better ones.
Also you can buy some fake cameras or even real cameras that maybe non working on ebay and mount them above any entry points as an added deterrent, just the sight of them with the spotlights blaring in their eyes and the locks should be a deterrent.

Anyway, without a photo and knowing what type of doors, structure of the building, height on the building, whether or not there is power its hard to be specific but these are my thoughts.
As far as someone discouraging you from adding security measures I would ignore, yes, sure anyone can break into anything but not every thief is a rocket scientist, most aren't and others would be to lazy to try to defeat what I just typed and they would just move on. If they didnt, they could just pull the whole thing down with a truck or smash a stolen vehicle through it. Which we know isnt going to happen unless someone knows for sure there is something very valuable in there.

Ive seen a lot over the years, done with that industry now, but heavy duty locks, BRIGHT lights, cameras (whether real or not doesn't matter) and cleared brush/trees/bushes/open views are very discouraging.

... and heck, If you have anything of value in there, hide an apple air tag in it for the heck of it if you use an iPhone. Four of them only cost $100 or $30 each/something like that. We have one on our dogs collar! :eek:)

Of course I believe in security systems but honestly, in this case your really trying to prevent someone from getting into a garage, grabbing what they want and running. As you posted that maybe down the road someday but the other above steps I think will prevent most all problems and if it doesnt a security system might just alert you that it already happened. (past tense) You could put up some official secutry system stickers or signs, also sold in ebay. Search adt security sign, vector security sign, vector signs are made of metal and will last longer, also a well known to professional thieves company. Heck they even secure Lowes home improvement stores.

Old wood roll up doors. Larger than a typical modern single garage bay door, both higher and wider. Good springs, smooth operation. Standard panel door with rollers in a track. With the standard quarter turn bar lock that goes through the track.

Yes, it has power. No it wouldn’t be pleasant to light it up like the Empire State Building. This is in my neighborhood. I don’t need to be obnoxious. But lighting can be done, the fixtures are there. Alarms can be done too, and cameras. I don’t feel the need to go overboard, I don’t live in a bad area at all. To be honest if I left the doors open I suspect bicycles would be taken by kids within a week, and I might have a squirrel or opossum living inside, but no o5er concerns to be honest… still, want to keep the kids and the generally honest folks out, and make it look noisy and a hassle enough for others to look for something else.

Anything you install with outside access can be defeated. If you want something more secure, you'll have to adapt to using the walk-through door as the first step to gaining access to the building. Better security starts with a device that the thieves don't know is there, and functionally blocks the door from rising, even slightly. My preference would be a device that resides fully inside the building, versus something that mounts to the door, as bolt heads exposed on the outside of the door gives the thief an idea of what he's dealing with.

Does your door have a pull chain & pulley mechanism on the inside?

I don’t really know what you mean by pull chain and pulley mechanism. It’s a big heavy garage door like millions of others across the USA, with a track and coil springs.

I agree on having devices that they don’t know are there. I foresee having multiple levels of security, for whatever posture and risk I want to take.

The intent here was really just so that something somewhat more difficult (noisy) to defeat, yet easy to access when coming and going, could be there besides the old quarter turn bar lock.

If I was going away for a month, I’d readily put something to block the track and make the door not liftable or accessible. If I’m going away for overnight or a few days, or even will be at home just down the stret, but just not going in and out every day, something a bit easier to use that still shows a higher security consideration than the stock door lock, is what I’m looking for.

I don’t really know what you mean by pull chain and pulley mechanism
You've surely seen these on TV/movies like on warehouse doors. Instead of simply grabbing the door and lifting it, you pull a chain through/around a pulley and it hoists the door up.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about a secure locking bolt. The whole rail system is secured to the structure with tiny screws. If someone really wants to get in, all they have to do is back any vehicle into the garage door, it will give way. Get a very loud alarm system and good lighting, that will atleast scare them away after they do the damage.

Based on your past past post on page 1 I was imagining your garage being isolated since you commented it wasnt behind the house, standing alone and on a street.
When I said light up like the Empire State Building it was in reference to the location I was thinking base on your post. But its still valid, you have power in the garage (I think) motion detector spot lights are dirt cheap and always off until motion detected. If properly set up, they will only light up if someone walks up to the door at night.

You've surely seen these on TV/movies like on warehouse doors. Instead of simply grabbing the door and lifting it, you pull a chain through/around a pulley and it hoists the door up.

Aaah, ok…. No. Not like that. Not an industrial steel door that rolls up around a mandrel. Just a wood sectional roll up door…

Back