Garage door replacement a DIY project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know you were supposed to keep those overhead torsion type springs oiled. I expect Few folks know either.

I did! I do it twice a year!
25.gif

Originally Posted by Elkins45
He ran steel cable thru all of them so when the next one broke the cable caught it and held it captive.

At our old house, the garage door used extension springs. I had a garage door guy out for a service for something and he said their policy was that they had to install steel cabling to prevent those springs from becoming missiles before they performed any work. They do charge for the material (it amounted to a few dollars - seriously, less than $20) and the labor was in the service call time so no extra cost.

This ^^^!!

When my son bought a house and the garage door with torsion spring needed adjustment, he asked me should he do it. I flatly said NO! Get a pro to do it. Same advice for a neighbor too.

That said, I've worked on doors with extension springs and if you prop the door full up, the springs are relaxed and can be handled safely.

I do have a torsion spring and if I do this project, I'll have a contractor buddy helping. Looks like ordering a garage door from Home Depot or Lowes is a 1 month wait minimum. Ugh.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I do have a torsion spring and if I do this project, I'll have a contractor buddy helping. Looks like ordering a garage door from Home Depot or Lowes is a 1 month wait minimum. Ugh.

Home Depot stocks standard 8'x7' and 9'x7' steel doors in the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back