Garage door openers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my parents bought their house in 1998, it had a Home Depot special Genie that had to be scrapped due to rail failure. I put in a Genie Pro 95 - great opener but it was NOISY as all [censored] - even with Red Line CV-2 grease as the lubricant. 2 years ago, this opener failed - the rail got bent and trashed the motor.

I had the local garage door guys put in a Lift-Master chain drive. Sure, I could have went to Costco and picked up a Chamberlain screw drive or another Genie at Home Depot. But I hate multi-piece rails.

Lift-Master and Craftsman are both Chamberlain openers. Genie and Overhead Door are the same. I'm impressed with the Lift-Master even though it's a chain drive. It's pretty quiet for what it is and all I need to do is lube the chain occasionally and swipe some grease on the rail once in a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motorcity
I wonder if you should go to a 3/4hp opener. Maybe your doors are to heavy for a 1/2hp opener.

I shouldn't have said 'pulled'. It was actually on the down stroke. I lubed up the safety stop mechanism up top, but the trip mechanism isn't all that sensitive on this model.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back