Garage Door Chain Lube - What's Best in the Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

What's best to lubricate garage door opener chains? I live up in Minnesota so I need something that would be great for Cold weather.

Thanks!

11.gif

Chains or gear drive?
For chains, you should get a motorcycle chain oil.
It is sprayed on, and is thin. After penetrating the insides of the links, the carrier evaporates, leaving a tough film of grease.
What is on the outside doesn't help nearly as much as what's inside a chain link.
But if they are dry, even WD40 is better than nothing.

It is for lubing the long chain.

I used WD-40 before, but that dissipates in a short time period of time.

The motorcycle chain oil is interesting.

How about Fogging Oil that is used in storing engines??

What does Amsoil recommend for this application??

Quote:
What does Amsoil recommend for this application??

Most likely HDMP.

I would use either Eezox or SL-10 from MPC. I use the SL-10 on screw drives and it works wonders.

I used regular grease on my screw drive once. Then I spent a while with solvent trying to get it off after the doors wouldn't open. I was told to use Lubriplate Aero.

Originally Posted By: rponfick
I used regular grease on my screw drive once. Then I spent a while with solvent trying to get it off after the doors wouldn't open. I was told to use Lubriplate Aero.

You can also use the Genie Screw drive lube, it is made by Lubriplate. I think it is the same stuff. I had to do the same with mine. The person that owned the house before me greased the screw drive with heavy grease and it wouldn't work below 20 degrees. I hosed it all out with brake cleaner and ran it for a couple days, I then used the Genie lube (Lubriplate) and have not had any problems.

Quote:
My screw drive specifically states "not to lube".

shocked2.gif
My parents had the follower wear out on thier screw drive due to lack of lubrication (before I found this site ;)). I would lube it.

I've actually used a specific "chain lube" product, can't recall who made it. It was originally bought for a heavy-duty industrial machine, but I used it on my garage door and it works very well.

The stuff foamed as it left the can, so it could stick to the chain and penetrate. It also cleaned it pretty well; the chain was dripping dirty gunk for awhile, but the carrier evaporated quickly. I highly recommend using the foam type, since there is no chance of overspray if you aim well.

funny, i just lubed the track on my garage door because i had to turn the up force knob to almost full the week before to get it to go up.
mine is a craftsman chain opener, the chain pulls the door and the chain really doesn't need any lube. Where mine needed lube was on the metal track that the thing slides on, don't know what to call it other than the metal piece the lever coming off the door clicks into. It looks like it just slides along the track which is a metal I-beam, and the slider is a C shape. I cleaned the track with paper towels and denatured alcohol, looks like it was some sort of dry film lube on there that was all done. I used a left over tube of lithium-complex wheel bearing grease liberally, than open/closed the door 5 times to spread it and wipe up what grease was pushed away. I also had some poulan bar & chain lube that I've had for a chainsaw, that was real stringy type of oil (brightstock? ). I wiped that on by hand onto the chain, and also dabbed it on the track for some extra lube, worked really well. Quieted down the opening considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back