Gabriel Ultra-Strut Ride Quality & Longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, how are you doing?

I was browsing Amazon warehouse deals today and came across a front right strut for my RX300 made by Gabriel. It was "used", the packing is broken but it said the strut was brand new and in perfect condition. I picked it up for only $16 so I'm not too worried about the packaging.

How are these struts? I'm not worried about handling, I mean let's face it, the RX isn't a Cayenne.I probably should asked before buying it, but [censored] for $16 it's worth the risk. I was worried they would be sold by the time I got responses on here.

I will be on the look out for a front left strut on amazon warehouse deals till around june (hopefully weather will be warm then), and at which point if I don't find one in warehouse deals I just go ahead and buy one brand new so I have a matching set of struts up front. I'll DIY install them along with OEM front strut mounts.

I have used Gabriel struts before and found they were usually as good as oem unit ride and control. If you have worn struts, you will surely notice a difference in ride control from the worn or leaking ones. Are there better struts available? Sure, but at more cost, and how much better will it be? If you have a sporty ride and need ultimate handling, well then...that might be a reason to upgrade from Gabriel.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Hey everyone, how are you doing?

I was browsing Amazon warehouse deals today and came across a front right strut for my RX300 made by Gabriel. It was "used", the packing is broken but it said the strut was brand new and in perfect condition. I picked it up for only $16 so I'm not too worried about the packaging.

How are these struts? I'm not worried about handling, I mean let's face it, the RX isn't a Cayenne.I probably should asked before buying it, but [censored] for $16 it's worth the risk. I was worried they would be sold by the time I got responses on here.

I will be on the look out for a front left strut on amazon warehouse deals till around june (hopefully weather will be warm then), and at which point if I don't find one in warehouse deals I just go ahead and buy one brand new so I have a matching set of struts up front. I'll DIY install them along with OEM front strut mounts.

I bought many items from Amazon Warehouse Deals for up to 70-80% less than regular price, it always state those items as "Used" but most items were new and the only problem were the damaged packaging. Who cares about packaging as long as the part is good.

I just put a set of 4 new Gabriel Ultra shocks on my truck and they are doing great, very solid firm and comfortable ride without being too stiff or harsh. If Ultra struts are anything like Ultra shocks you will be fine with them.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Look's like these struts should do the job!

I will update this thread once I receive the struts, and ensure they are in like new condition as described on amazon.

Well the struts came in today, and wow! They seem to be brand spankin' new! There was only one gash on the box, I can't believe Amazon would sell it as "used" just because of that one small gash. I've had bigger holes in boxes from Best Buy. lol

See for yourself.

IMG_0430_zps201694ee.jpg

The cut in the box.

IMG_0431_zpsd06da655.jpg

Strut.

IMG_0434_zps09c98dfc.jpg

IMG_0435_zps201534ff.jpg

You got a good deal there..the boxes that my Ultra shocks came in were ripped worse than that and they had only been sitting on the shelf at Autozone..

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump the thread one time before I go ahead and order another Gabriel Strut for the driver side.

Any more opinions on how long the Gabriel's will last? I'm not looking for a sporty ride, just a soft compliant ride.

If I didn't go with the Gabriel's, I would go with APX struts made by sensen.

I'm actually going to install these struts sometime at the end of this month as it seems like the weather is starting to improve.

The struts are installed. The ride is perfect, smooth and compliant just like a Lexus should be! I'll keep everyone updated as far as longevity goes, the RX currently has 195k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back