FYI....MoS2 shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought a couple cans of MoS2 from Napa. Noticed they were labeled "Lubro Moly" instead of "Liqui Moly". Plus the cans looked a little dusty and old. So I emailed Liqui Moly about the shelf life. Mine were stamped "1006/8462". Gave them that info and here's their response. I'm going back to Napa to return these today.

Hello.

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Liqui Moly products.

The shelf life of our additives is 5 years.
The reason is that our additives consist of a plurality of ingredients and these ingredients lose thei effectiveness over time.
The stamp on the bottem of the bottle is the bottling date, in this case October 2006.
You should not use this additive.

Should you have any further questions, please contact us.

Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-644
Fax: +49 731 1420-82

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4, D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost

Interesting, tell NAPA to get you some fresh stock. My bet is your return will go right back on the shelf to sell to someone else.

I doubt it's bad. Paraffinic oil is stable, as would be MoS2 under oil in a closed container with absence of moisture and high heat.

I would not use it in my car engine though - even if new
smile.gif
non filtered and no pressure lubed Generator - maybe.

I'm liking the customer service of this company more and more.

My can says 0514 on it. I've checked many Napa's in California, never saw it.

Wow, that is old. I'm in NC too and the price has gone up. Used to be $6.09 /w tax but a few weeks ago I remember it coming to $7.xx something.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
Yesterday I bought a couple cans of MoS2 from Napa. Noticed they were labeled "Lubro Moly" instead of "Liqui Moly". Plus the cans looked a little dusty and old. So I emailed Liqui Moly about the shelf life. Mine were stamped "1006/8462". Gave them that info and here's their response. I'm going back to Napa to return these today.

Where do you find the date stamped on the bottle ? I looked at the bottom of the MoS2 bottle and didn't see any stamped number on it.

There are printed numbers on top of the UPC# 100420 020094, it's 20091104 on both bottles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I'm liking the customer service of this company more and more.

I agree.
This company is a class act. Their customer service responsiveness and honesty should be an example for all companies to emulate.

Thanks,

Looking at the top of the bottles I found this number: 0313/16819 stamped on both.

So, mine are very new about 1.5 years old.

Thanks for the info. I have to go check the dates on my bottles.

I added one bottle to my car and had an UOA done at 10k. At 212 PPM, it showed no improvement in wear metals over the previous UOA. The only thing I could tell was cold-starts were quieter.

Does MoS2 bind to the surfaces of metal or do most of it just settle at the bottom of the oil pan?

Originally Posted By: Bugzii
Thanks for the info. I have to go check the dates on my bottles.

I added one bottle to my car and had an UOA done at 10k. At 212 PPM, it showed no improvement in wear metals over the previous UOA. The only thing I could tell was cold-starts were quieter.

Does MoS2 bind to the surfaces of metal or do most of it just settle at the bottom of the oil pan?

It doesn't bind per sey. It gets worked into the metals irregularities and fills them creating a super smooth slick surface.
As far as wear is concerned as I assume you're aware a used oil analysis isn't an accurate method of assessment.
So whether wear metals are different is irrelevant. It doesn't mean there is any more,or less wear.
Just sayin

Originally Posted By: Bugzii
At 212 PPM, it showed no improvement in wear metals over the previous UOA. The only thing I could tell was cold-starts were quieter.

212 PPM of what? Aluminum, Iron, or all wear elements combined, Aluminum through Titanium?

Either way 221 is pretty high. How many miles on each UOA?

Originally Posted By: vintageant
212 PPM of what? Aluminum, Iron, or all wear elements combined, Aluminum through Titanium?

Either way 221 is pretty high. How many miles on each UOA?

212 of Moly. 10k miles... here's the UOA report.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It doesn't bind per sey. It gets worked into the metals irregularities and fills them creating a super smooth slick surface. As far as wear is concerned as I assume you're aware a used oil analysis isn't an accurate method of assessment. So whether wear metals are different is irrelevant. It doesn't mean there is any more, or less wear.
Just sayin

I see. So how does one measure the effectiveness of this additive? I'm trying to figure out if I should stop using it in my car. Here's the UOA report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back