Future vintage car: EFI or carbs better?

Something that old, probably carb. If a carb has some problems, it still runs, maybe not that great, but at least it runs. If a fuel injection module or critical sensor dies, the car is dead in the water. I'm trying to figure out a running problem in my 86 Volvo. Engine runs fine for 10 minutes, then dies and won't restart until the next day when it starts and runs fine. Fuel injection has a dozen components and sensors and with no OBD, makes things much harder to diagnose and test.
Having a similar problem with my 95 GMC, runs fine cold then runs very ragged on closed loop. The Edlebrock on my 77 was flawless for 20 years. The latest efi aftermarket systems seem like a good alternative to carbs. IMHO.

EFI can be stupid simple, much simpler than a carb with all its mechanical gadgets, and typically does not require frequent upkeep.. I'd go the EFI route any day of the week.

Are we talking factory configuration? I'd spec a car (or retrofit one with a new system) that needed only the minimum of EFI components-- specifically a speed density system that does not require a MAF. Something like a 1992 Saturn (if we're sticking with 30 year old cars) comes to mind.

Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, throttle position, coolant temp sensor, air intake temp sensor, and O2 sensor for closed loop feedback, IIRC is all it would really need.

There were a few manufacturers that were steadfastly against MAFs, preferring speed density configurations. Chrysler was one of them and I believe Honda and Hyundai/Kia as well, possibly others. Sadly, more modern emissions requirements ruined all that and forced most engines to transition to MAF based air metering. Not saying MAF setups are inherently unreliable, but you're adding one more sensor to the mix that is not essential to EFI operation.
'99 Corolla: MAP sensor; '2000 and later: MAF airflow metering...

Get the best of both worlds with carb/EFI.
Atomic_Highlight.jpg

Re: the original question....

I would pick carbed without electronic controls. After seeing what people will do in failing (miserably) to get even a 3rd Gen F-Body to run correctly, I would think the simpler the better. But now we're talking something that was manufactured before 1974.

When you acquire the car after someone has done who knows what to it, it's now your nightmare to try and re-establish a baseline. The process of elimination could take months.

Re: the original question....

I would pick carbed without electronic controls. After seeing what people will do in failing (miserably) to get even a 3rd Gen F-Body to run correctly, I would think the simpler the better. But now we're talking something that was manufactured before 1974.

When you acquire the car after someone has done who knows what to it, it's now your nightmare to try and re-establish a baseline. The process of elimination could take months.
EEC-IV is VERY easy in my experience and I'd take it over a carb any day of the week.

I agree. KISS principle. I have '08 vintage car in the shop at work, that needs an ECM I can't find one, at least that I can buy through the channels available to me on contract, being as I work for the state I live in.
No longer available. And older EFI is no better than that car is, availability of parts. And aftermarket sensors for the most part these days are crap.
I can always find carburetors, kits, floats for my own carbureted vehicles (all happen to have carter carbs at the moment) even though Carter sold out in the mid 80s ...
We have a state agency calling daily asking when their avenger is going to be ready and the answers the same. Maybe never.

I agree. KISS principle. I have '08 vintage car in the shop at work, that needs an ECM I can't find one, at least that I can buy through the channels available to me on contract, being as I work for the state I live in.
No longer available. And older EFI is no better than that car is, availability of parts. And aftermarket sensors for the most part these days are crap.
I can always find carburetors, kits, floats for my own carbureted vehicles (all happen to have carter carbs at the moment) even though Carter sold out in the mid 80s ...
We have a state agency calling daily asking when their avenger is going to be ready and the answers the same. Maybe never.
'08 is vintage? Dang, I must be behind the times.

The state agency might need a different purchasing agent. A quick Google search reveals this part available on umpteen different websites. At your local pull-a-part, these things are dime a dozen. 15 year old cars are the sweet spot for availability in junkyard lots, especially something as common as the vehicle you mentioned.

In 10 years I might agree with you. A lot of platforms are no longer allowing reprogramming on electronic modules. One and done,, then you have to buy a new one. What happens when you can't buy a new one?

I work for the state as well as a fleet mechanic.
If you've never worked with or for) the state govt it's not like joe average who can buy from whoever. We have to "set up" accounts with potential vendors and it's not like most businesses doing so to deal with other businesses. Maybe it's an Illinois thing.
They won't deal with salvage yards at all (I've tried) any time we need an ECM we have to deal with the respective brands oem dealer.
I wouldn't call 08 "vintage" either, but dodge told us "NLA" and I've seen many mainstream parts from ford and GM "NLA" on a 10 year old truck ... I have given the boss the name of an outfit I've dealt with myself that offered a "rebuild and return" and even he said the price "wasn't bad" but the bureaucratic red tape we would have to go thru makes "being worth it" debatable.

Back