Fun With a Porsche 928

These are sort of a forgotten classic, but very, very nice cars if well bought, but can be ugly if not. Whenever friends and I get beer talking about cars we'd like to own or wish we had owned, these hardly ever come up.

The salt is mostly gone from some areas here, so my friend woke up his ~70K mile 928 S4 and I got to drive it for about an hour. I really enjoyed it. This is an extremely well preserved and maintained one. A few thoughts:

1) Porsche made very nice cars then and used extremely durable components, e.g. the interior is almost perfect save for a miniscule dash crack and patina on the seats. No tears. All the switches are original and functional, all the primitive led displays also work. No squeaks or rattles; almost unbelievable on a 30+ year old car. These were big $$ cars in the day though.

2) Steering, assisted, is heavy, communicative and well damped. Love the feeling especially compared to some of the overboosted almost rheostat feeling steering on many recent vehicles, even 'sports' ones.

3) This is not a sports car, it is clearly a grand tourer. It is fun on the twisties but with some effort, it gives the feeling that it is most comfortable eating up lots of highway miles very quickly. One car that I actually prefer with an auto.

4) I miss the German austere minimalist instrument panels and dashboards of the 70's -mid/late 90's. Plain & simple, quick glance and you get what you need from the gauges and the various controls (climate, etc.) are in easy reach with big and distinct enough knobs, slides and levers so you can actually use them without being too distracted.

5) Cars have gotten huge. I always thought of the 928 as a big car, but we parked next to a Toyota something sedan that dwarfed it.

6) Flounder headlights were tacky, now they are cool.

7) Getting in and out is a bit awkward. The seats are so low as are the sills so that you have to sort of fall into the car. The Lotus also has silly low seats, but the sills are so high (relatively) you put your hand on one and pivot your feet in, but the 928 is like dropping in to a hole backside first; takes practice to make it look effortless :D

8) Nothing, NOTHING sounds like a V8 through a good exhaust.

I'm now soft prowling the interweb for one...

Photo from the web of the same year as his.
928-front s.jpg

Last edited:
Have never been 100% in love with the 928's looks, but always admired the offering of a "big" (back then) V8 grand tourer for its presence as a personal luxury performance coupe, and the 911's bigger (but not older) brother. But you have to admit that no Porsche from that era could be accused of looking like anything else on the road.
I cringed as I watched a parody re-make of Risky Business the other night. They dunked another one in a lake. 😣

I LOOOVE 928's Very few cars are more comfy on a long high speed trip than a 928.

Have never been 100% in love with the 928's looks, but always admired the offering of a "big" (back then) V8 grand tourer for its presence as a personal luxury performance coupe, and the 911's bigger (but not older) brother. But you have to admit that no Porsche from that era could be accused of looking like anything else on the road.
I cringed as I watched a parody re-make of Risky Business the other night. They dunked another one in a lake. 😣
I agree, I was not a fan of the looks then but they have grown on me. Especially the lights.

928's are fun to drive and I often thought of getting one. I am always scared off because they are a difficult car to work on if they are not working right. I have the baby brother 968 with similar looks a lot less power and not as good as a tourer. It's fun to drive on the twistys though :)

I know this is subjective but I like the phone dials. I have them on my 951. My 968 has the club sport.

I believe at the time Porsche was ready to abandon rear engined cars, this was the new direction they wanted to go.

924, 944, 928, 968... they're not all fast but aal have good road manners and are drivers cars. 911 of the era can't be described as having good manners...

That was a refreshingly good write-up and summary.

These have always been lovely, and the V8 aspect has always appealed. I watched a video review on them a few weeks ago and the professional comments meshed very nicely with those here. I've had a number of German cars from that era (not Porsche though) and "build quality" was never a question; a valid point made in the post.

I turned 16 in 1985 and the 928 was on my wish list along with the Countach. But then again pretty much every teen boy in the 80s wanted a Countach.
But seeing that black 928 in Weird Science kinda sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately it never came to fruition.

I turned 16 in 1985 and the 928 was on my wish list along with the Countach. But then again pretty much every teen boy in the 80s wanted a Countach.
But seeing that black 928 in Weird Science kinda sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately it never came to fruition.
My god, so very true... and we are almost the exact same age. LOL

Quote:
4) I miss the German austere minimalist instrument panels and dashboards of the 70's -mid/late 90's. Plain & simple, quick glance and you get what you need from the gauges and the various controls (climate, etc.) are in easy reach with big and distinct enough knobs, slides and levers so you can actually use them without being too distracted.
I agree...I remember reading a car magazine test of late 80s Mazdas where they described the simplicity of the interior and controls as being 'Germanic'....I. ended up buying a brand new 1989 Mazda 626 5 speed....and that simplicity was one of my favorite aspects of the car.

In the early 80's a friend was importing gray market porsches and had a 928 in the fleet. I drove it for a while fantastic car build quality was fantastic but then again I had a 1980 L-82 corvette at the time which had GM crappy interior. All the controls were in German which was interesting

Back