Fun times, and my bride cursed me, well my truck...

My bride and I took Friday off of work to spend the day together before an enriching marriage conference hosted by our Church. The conference is just under an hour away. We planned to go on a bike ride, but we were then going to stay in a hotel so I needed to take my old Silverado so we could lock the bikes under cover at the hotel. Before we left, she asked “do you think she can make it?” Now this truck has NEVER left us stranded, and I just laughed...she has NEVER questioned my truck, and neither have I...

We drive to Slater for our ride, then to Exile (restaurant) in downtown Des Moines. Just as we pull into the Exile parking, my ABS light goes on...great, either I need a new sensor, or a wheel bearing is going out...either way I wasn’t worried about it ruining our weekend.

As we get out, I run around the truck and feel each hub...yup, front right is a little warm. Guess we will have to get a new one on order, and I’ll swap it out in a few days. At this point the truck has been driving straight and true with no pull, noises or vibration. I'll just stick to the back roads and take it slow on the way home. I have driven other cars with bad bearings for weeks.

After lunch we drive to the hotel in downtown, maybe 2 miles away at best. We turn the radio down, and I can hear a faint rubbing noise...yup, it is a bearing.

I check in, and go to park in the ramp...and the noise starts getting worse. I circle the lot 2 times, and it’s getting MUCH worse. I go to back into a parking spot, and it is MUCH MUCH worse. It takes nearly half throttle to get the truck to back into the spot.

Long story short, the right front bearing failed in spectacular fashion. There was a trail of rollers to my truck, and the only thing holding my wheel on was the brake caliper. There was not a single roller left in the hub.

We got a ride home after the conference, and then I got to change the wheel bearing today in the hotel parking garage. Got it done in roughly 90 minutes.

That is my bride's ZR2 (complete with pink crown) that acted as my work truck.
hub3.jpg
hub2.jpg
hub1.jpg
hub.jpg

Wow that did fail fast. The bearing on the RV (Chevy Express 3500) basically the same bearing had alot of play but no noise. No idea how long it had been like that but found it on the normal first of the year inspection.

One of my classmates had a front wheel fall off due to a failed bearing. But goodness knows how long he had been ignoring noise. Fortunately it fell off on a low speed turn on campus.

You do have some luck though, at least it is a bolt on.
I know you have the experience...while it may technically be a bolt on, it is a nightmare to get the hub out, especially when the hub is gone, and you have nothing to pound on.

Bolt on so at least it was simpler… although removing locked in mounting bolts on the hub probably wasn’t fun, especially in a hotel garage.

A while back, I had a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and, on a drive back to my mom’s house, I heard the grinding. Then suddenly ABS light, warning notices, chimes, the works. Stopped and called OnStar and they did an on the fly scan. Told me what I expected: their scan pointed to a failed bearing. Unlike this situation here in this thread, I made it back to mom’s place.

Grabbed a new hub assembly from the local NAPA and swapped it out. All was well, and I didn’t have a problem with it all the way until I traded it for my Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon a couple years later.

A few months after my swap, I got a recall notice - for wheel hub bearing failures. 🙄

Bolt on so at least it was simpler… although removing locked in mounting bolts on the hub probably wasn’t fun, especially in a hotel garage.

A while back, I had a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and, on a drive back to my mom’s house, I heard the grinding. Then suddenly ABS light, warning notices, chimes, the works. Stopped and called OnStar and they did an on the fly scan. Told me what I expected: their scan pointed to a failed bearing. Unlike this situation here in this thread, I made it back to mom’s place.

Grabbed a new hub assembly from the local NAPA and swapped it out. All was well, and I didn’t have a problem with it all the way until I traded it for my Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon a couple years later.

A few months after my swap, I got a recall notice - for wheel hub bearing failures. 🙄

I don't know about you guys, but although they are "bolt in" hubs, they have always been a HUGE PITA. This is the third one I have done over three different vehicles. While the hubs are technically bolt-in, there is a bit of press fit, and living in Iowa (rust belt) they weld themselves to the carrier. It has been a challenge every time to get the hub out of the carrier. There are hours of youtube videos on how to extract hubs, so I know I'm not the only one.

I don't know about you guys, but although they are "bolt in" hubs, they have always been a HUGE PITA. This is the third one I have done over three different vehicles. While the hubs are technically bolt-in, there is a bit of press fit, and living in Iowa (rust belt) they weld themselves to the carrier. It has been a challenge every time to get the hub out of the carrier. There are hours of youtube videos on how to extract hubs, so I know I'm not the only one.
Yes pain in the rear if its rusted up! i've done a couple!

Did my first wheel bearing ever a few weeks ago. It was a bolt in and I was scared to death after watching horror videos on Youtube. Turned out to be one of the easiest jobs ever. Thank God for mild winters 😂

My bride and I took Friday off of work to spend the day together before an enriching marriage conference hosted by our Church. The conference is just under an hour away. We planned to go on a bike ride, but we were then going to stay in a hotel so I needed to take my old Silverado so we could lock the bikes under cover at the hotel. Before we left, she asked “do you think she can make it?” Now this truck has NEVER left us stranded, and I just laughed...she has NEVER questioned my truck, and neither have I...

We drive to Slater for our ride, then to Exile (restaurant) in downtown Des Moines. Just as we pull into the Exile parking, my ABS light goes on...great, either I need a new sensor, or a wheel bearing is going out...either way I wasn’t worried about it ruining our weekend.

As we get out, I run around the truck and feel each hub...yup, front right is a little warm. Guess we will have to get a new one on order, and I’ll swap it out in a few days. At this point the truck has been driving straight and true with no pull, noises or vibration. I'll just stick to the back roads and take it slow on the way home. I have driven other cars with bad bearings for weeks.

After lunch we drive to the hotel in downtown, maybe 2 miles away at best. We turn the radio down, and I can hear a faint rubbing noise...yup, it is a bearing.

I check in, and go to park in the ramp...and the noise starts getting worse. I circle the lot 2 times, and it’s getting MUCH worse. I go to back into a parking spot, and it is MUCH MUCH worse. It takes nearly half throttle to get the truck to back into the spot.

Long story short, the right front bearing failed in spectacular fashion. There was a trail of rollers to my truck, and the only thing holding my wheel on was the brake caliper. There was not a single roller left in the hub.

We got a ride home after the conference, and then I got to change the wheel bearing today in the hotel parking garage. Got it done in roughly 90 minutes.

That is my bride's ZR2 (complete with pink crown) that acted as my work truck.
View attachment 56076View attachment 56077View attachment 56078View attachment 56079
Pretty gutsy to do it in a hotel parking garage. Good for you

It's crazy that it failed so quickly. Were there any abnormal noises prior to the failure? I drove on a bad wheel bearing in my Honda for over a year and it never progressed, I did end up having it changed before things got bad.

You are one lucky man. I never have that kind of luck at all. Great to hear a complete success story instead of ton's of things that don't work out quite right. Congrats!

Back