Fun order from Japan - PIAA Twin Power + Magnet Oil Filter

That looks cool. I don't know if its necessary, but it's cool. Reminds me a bit of the oil filters (can't remember the name, Eco Green or something?) from a few years ago with the built in bypass filter.
MicroGreen

PIAA isn't the only one who says this. Been told the same thing more than once.

Here's what a different manufacturer said:

View attachment 172975

Seems like releasing test data is something North American manufacturers do so it does sound like a legitimate cultural difference.
Reminds me of Wix when the XP efficiency was shown on their website as 50% @ 20u. Then later the efficiency spec disappeared from their website and showed nothing. I called Wix after that happened, and asked their Tech Dept what the Wix XP efficiency was, and their response was it's "proprietary". 😄

Reminds me of Wix when the XP efficiency was shown on their website as 50% @ 20u. Then later the efficiency spec disappeared from their website and showed nothing. I called Wix after that happened, and asked their Tech Dept what the Wix XP efficiency was, and their response was it's "proprietary". 😄

I remember reading something about this when joining the forum.. It saved me from making the mistake of buying the XP instead of the regular Wix, as why would anyone assume that the regular wix filters better than the XP.

It's bad management in my opinion and it's a shame.

It's not ideal but couldn't he just compare it to any particle count on the forum as both the conditions (extra dusty) and oil condition (changes color after driving in dust) should result in abnormal numbers if the air system has an issue? If mileage on the comparison report is different, an average can be calculated.

Example:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...22k-on-xg8a-fram-ultra-particle-count.319815/

We know thescreensavers had a functional air system and was using a fram ultra so royfj's report should be similar if all is well with his air system.
View attachment 172976
Yes, a single particle count of the used oil can give more info with a single test than say a single UOA looking at wear metal levels. But even with a PC, the level of cleanliness can be effected somewhat by the length of the OCI. So for instance, if the same engine had UOA wear metals and particle counts done with similar OCIs, then the data would be more useful. If for instance, the same engine has the same OCI each time, but with a different oil filter used on different OCIs, then you could better see the effect of a less or more efficient oil filter on the oil cleanliness. But yes, I agree that one PC could be compared to other UOAs PC data to get an idea of how well the filter is keeping the oil clean.

In the past I took PC data from UOAs posted on BITOG and plotted some oil filters against each other to see how they looked. I did see a correlation between the efficiency of the oil filter and the cleanliness of the oil, even though the filters were on different engines. I found it interesting that the MicroGreen filters looked like they did what they claimed, that is to remove more debris of 10u and below - you can see it in the graph below. But the MicroGreen wasn't any better than a 99% @ 40u filter in the 14u and above particulate range.

1692127108703.jpeg

I would just run a wire backed Fram and keep it on for minimum 50K miles with drain / refills every 7K miles.

The filter with magnet inside is a cool concept.

I asked my Japanese colleagues about this, and the reply was not enough resources to translate technical data to English. Even local distributors struggle with this.

I asked my Japanese colleagues about this, and the reply was not enough resources to translate technical data to English. Even local distributors struggle with this.

I wrote to PIAA in Japanese after they didn't answer in English so in their situation, it wasn't that unfortunately

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1802.png

My filters came today. The Z-14M box was a bit mangled but the cartridge itself was totally fine.

Really looking forward to trying these on the Pathfinder and Tacoma during their next OCIs.

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_191720672.jpg
    IMG_20230830_191720672.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 18
My filters came today. The Z-14M box was a bit mangled but the cartridge itself was totally fine.

Really looking forward to trying these on the Pathfinder and Tacoma during their next OCIs.
Might be awhile, but when they are done being used it would be cool to see these cut open.

Might be awhile, but when they are done being used it would be cool to see these cut open.
It'll be awhile until my Pathfinder is due for it's next oil change but when the time comes I plan to run the Z8-M for 10K then send it to 53 Stude for a C&P. So sometime next year probably we'll see that.

I’ve emailed PIAA because I’d like to try one, however, I’m not sure I’ll get a response. Can anyone say which one would be an equivalent to a fl910s or fl400s? Or if there even is one?

Back