Fumoto drain valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
105000 miles without a drip or issue on the Subaru. Saved me from using a ton of crush washers!

70000+ miles on the Outback.

The supplied blue crush washer has started to weep. No enough to ever drip off the oil pan, but enough for the area to be slightly oil damp. I consider it extra rust-proofing for Chicago winters. That being said, I'll put a new crush washer on if it ever starts to actually drip.

Makes oil changes so easy on the OB. No going back for me.

Is anyone worried about the valve getting damaged (possible letting oil leak) by sticking below the oil pan? A rock or something. Even if the valve is heavy duty its still sticking down there.

If installing the valve makes the valve the low point under your car you may have a legitimate concern. I have seen a few cars in my life like that, but very few.

I had one of the Sure Drain valves on my last car. I liked it, but wished I had spent the extra $10 and gotten a Fumoto because it requires no additional parts for draining. For the Fram valve you need to have the screw-in cap that opens the valve.

The 2012 Mazda has a small "hatch" that you remove with a single screw to access the oil drain and filter. Nicest arrangement I have had so far. When the hatch is on everything is covered. I installed the Fumoto with no difficulty. It should be much nicer than the stupid Allen head drain plug. It was difficult to remove as it was made quite tight to mash the aluminum washer.

Originally Posted By: Pops1050
Hello everyone , I'm a first time poster . What a great resource Bobistheoilguy is for amateurs like me . I'm 54 and have done a few oil changes , recently a friend I work with told me about a Fumoto drain valve he's used for years . Looks convenient ... Does any one have an opinion / experience with these things ? Leaks ? Potential for failure ?
Thanks

06 Silverado 160000 mi M1 5W - 30
07 Accord 57000 mi M1 5W - 20
07 Volvo S40 112000 mi M1 5W - 30

I'm just to cheap to try one. The bolt was included when I bought the car. I guess if mine ever gets screwed up in any way, I might consider one. I said MIGHT, I can't guarantee I'd make it past the $3 oil pan bolt and gasket on the way to the Fumoto valves though.

There are Fram Sure Drains all over eBay. While not quite as convenient as the Fumoto I really liked mine. They are half the the price of a Fumoto valve.

But, if $12 is too much for you...

I would NEVER use an oil drain pan valve! I would fear some road debris would tear it from the pan and there goes your engine.
I have installed stainless 1/4 turn ball valves in place of my block coolant plugs.
thumbsup2.gif

I think a decently skilled DIY mechanic can tell if there is a danger of losing the valve from "road debris." I have never had any problem with these valves and they offer advantages.

No crush washers to worry about and thus less chance of drips.
No potential for stripped oil pan threads.
No initial surge of oil out of the drain plug resulting in splashing.

What I don't understand is why some feel the need to dis the whole valve idea just because they don't want to use one. I don't care either way. It's a oil drain plug which is not worth much brain energy expenditure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I think a decently skilled DIY mechanic can tell if there is a danger of losing the valve from "road debris." I have never had any problem with these valves and they offer advantages.

No crush washers to worry about and thus less chance of drips.
No potential for stripped oil pan threads.
No initial surge of oil out of the drain plug resulting in splashing.

What I don't understand is why some feel the need to dis the whole valve idea just because they don't want to use one. I don't care either way. It's a oil drain plug which is not worth much brain energy expenditure.
smile.gif

I don't put them down in any way. I stated that "I fear road debris would tear it from the pan."
BTW, are you saying I am not a "decently skilled" DIY mechanic?
confused2.gif

^I guess I just hadn't run my comments through my staff to make sure that none of my statements could have been interpreted as offensive. LOL.

And, I do enjoy this forum, but at times it seems like some posters are on a mission to convince everyone else that they are the only "right" ones.

I KNOW that to not be true for myself. The forum is excellent therapy for me when I start feeling like I am OCD. Nothing improves my mood more than seeing how many worry over even more minutia than I do.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I would NEVER use an oil drain pan valve! I would fear some road debris would tear it from the pan and there goes your engine.
I have installed stainless 1/4 turn ball valves in place of my block coolant plugs.
thumbsup2.gif

I have them on our tractors, semis and pickups. I doubt you encounter more road debris than we do off road, but I am not doubting your fears.

Both of our Jettas that have them and all of the pickups have skid plates that protect them if needed, but most are protected as it is.

I like clean oil changes and hate leaks otherwise. I also like only needing one pail to change oil and not a big drain sink or cutoff barrel. Makes life easier and faster.

I know the Fumoto valve is convenient, for some, but where I live (swamps, gravel roads, woods) I think it's a bad place for one. I am all for anything that makes a job a lot easier, except for this valve on my oil pan.
Remember, I stated earlier that I have used valves on the engine block. But those are protected by other engine parts and are up high on the engine.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

In the first sentence of my reply it reads,"I would NEVER"........
That does not mean I am against ANYONE else using one.
01.gif

If something can take out the drain plug on my vehicle, I would be much more worried about what took out the rest of the stuff around it. I haven't owned any cars recently that leave the oil pan unprotected. If the Fumoto is of the locking style, I wouldn't have a problem installing it. Actually, I would have a (small
0 problem removing all the skid plates and under body cladding to get to the plug.

I ran over a deer messed up the bumper and killed the foglights- the fumoto had dear hair and some meat on it but it did not open or get damaged. If you hit something hard enough to break the valve- you have bigger issues. In my minivan- the drain is at the back of the pan and does not jut out- for it to be damaged- the entire oil pan would have to shear off or I would have to get airborn and land on something to damage it. In either case- the oil valve would be the last of my worries.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
In my minivan- the drain is at the back of the pan and does not jut out- for it to be damaged- the entire oil pan would have to shear off or I would have to get airborn and land on something to damage it.

But, you do admit there is that slight chance it could happen......
27.gif

I know the Fumoto valve is convenient, for some, but where I live (swamps, gravel roads, woods) I think it's a bad place for one. I am all for anything that makes a job a lot easier, except for this valve on my oil pan.

I've used them without issues, but in my applications, the valve was protected in one way or the other. Not ever vehicle is like that, of course.

The ground clearance and orientation of the drain hole in the F-150 are such that there will be no issue. In the Audi, and even more so in the G, even though it has low ground clearance, if you're able to knock off or damage the Fumoto valve from something you drove over, you've got a lot bigger problems than even a sudden oil volume loss.

I got the Fumoto valve with the nipple on it for my motorhome since it has plenty of ground clearance.

Shops charge a premium on vans.. and even more on motorhomes thinking you have money to burn.

Now i can change my oil with almost no mess at all in Wal-Mart or other large parking lots. Only bit of mess stems from changing the oil filter but even that isn't too bad.. a few drips. No more than a leaky oil pan gasket.

By the time anyone notices what I'm doing, I'll already be done. Then I can take in the oil someplace to get it recycled.

Oddly enough, that's where one has to get Fumotos up here - a truck/motorhome service business. Of course, people with semis and the like are more likely to be using the things. They always think I'm strange when I call to order one and worry they're going to have trouble tracking things down for an automotive application, until I tell them I already have the model number for what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back