Fully detailed our new 2020 Jetta

I got around to detailing the new Jetta today after having it for nearly a week. We have had rain on and off this week but thankfully the skies were clear this morning so I was able to do everything I had planned on except doing an Iron decontamination. It was too hot and sunny and the directions clearly state not to use in direct sunlight. Surprisingly the paint is very smooth. The past 2 new Jettas in our family had plenty of imbedded contaminants from shipment but not this one thankfully.

I started by using an acid base water spot remover since all the glass was loaded with them. I did 2 coats on most of the glass and it came out looking very clear. Once dry I topped the glass with Rain X. Like I said I skipped the Iron-X since the weather was not favorable to using it. I had also planned on doing a NuFinish polish with a D/A to prep the paint for Sonax Profiline Polymer Net Shield. Maybe that is overkill but is has worked well on my Accord, however I realized I didn't have enough time today so I skipped that step as well. After washing and drying I applied Sonax Polymer Net Shield. I have been very impressed with this product. One application on my Accord has been lasting over 2 months with bi weekly washes, I can't say ANYTHING (and I have tried many products) has held up this well.

The interior was coated with 303 and fabric seats were sprayed with Chemical Guys Fabric Guard to give some water repellent properties and UV protection. We do have some Wet Okole covers coming in for the font seats, so I didn't coat those since it is a messy process. The end results look great! This paint really pops.

Attachments

• IMG_4749.JPG
    IMG_4749.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4747.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4751.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4761.JPG
    IMG_4761.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4724.JPG
    IMG_4724.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4735.JPG
    IMG_4735.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 161
Additional images

Attachments

• IMG_4739.JPG
    IMG_4739.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4730.JPG
    IMG_4730.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4731.JPG
    IMG_4731.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 48
Good man, Greg. Looks great. I used to detail my Dad's new cars. He appreciated it but never fully understood why I'd do it to a new car.

Scott

Yep, have to get some protection on the paint! One of my uncles said he didn't need to was his cars since they were clear coated. I didn't argue.

It seems to me that blue cars are becoming more common.

Scott

I have always considered longevity of paint when picking out a color. Her last 2 VW's were Platinum Grey Metallic and my last 2 Hondas were / are Desert Mist Metallic and Taffeta White. Colors that *should* hold up better to the Florida sun vs others. I have always heard reds, greens and blues didn't last as long. The dealer that we were at only had Pure White and Silk Blue Metallic and neither of us liked the white in the base model, it looks too much like a rental car. We have always loved Silk Blue but were worried about longevity. I am hoping with proper care that we can get 10 years out of this paint job without fading or clear coat issues. Time will tell. Do any of you have a long term blue vehicle in your fleet that sees regular sun exposure and still looks good?

Yep, have to get some protection on the paint! One of my uncles said he didn't need to was his cars since they were clear coated. I didn't argue.
In defense of my Dad, he was in his 70s and 80s when I used to do this for him (he's since passed on). Cars loved ending up in his garage. He took good care of all his stuff. He washed his car every week, dirty or not, just to get some more exercise after doing the yards. He used to mow the yard in his slacks and a button up short! LOL. I miss him.

Scott

In defense of my Dad, he was in his 70s and 80s when I used to do this for him (he's since passed on). Cars loved ending up in his garage. He took good care of all his stuff. He washed his car every week, dirty or not, just to get some more exercise after doing the yards. He used to mow the yard in his slacks and a button up short! LOL. I miss him.

Scott
He was from another generation, where personal property was to be taken care of. I admire that.

...... Do any of you have a long term blue vehicle in your fleet that sees regular sun exposure and still looks good?
Our Reef Blue 2016 VW Passat. 19K miles. California sun, but garaged. I use Collinite No. 915 every 2 or 3 months. After every wash I use Blackfire Synthetic Spray wax. I think VW does nice blues.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpeg
    IMG_2459.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 56
I have always considered longevity of paint when picking out a color. Her last 2 VW's were Platinum Grey Metallic and my last 2 Hondas were / are Desert Mist Metallic and Taffeta White. Colors that *should* hold up better to the Florida sun vs others. I have always heard reds, greens and blues didn't last as long. The dealer that we were at only had Pure White and Silk Blue Metallic and neither of us liked the white in the base model, it looks too much like a rental car. We have always loved Silk Blue but were worried about longevity. I am hoping with proper care that we can get 10 years out of this paint job without fading or clear coat issues. Time will tell. Do any of you have a long term blue vehicle in your fleet that sees regular sun exposure and still looks good?
Your paint will more than go the distance, especially if you show it even the slightest bit of care. VW is not known for skimping on quality here.

I couldn't be happier with the paint on my Atlas.

Our Reef Blue 2016 VW Passat. 19K miles. California sun, but garaged. I use Collinite No. 915 every 2 or 3 months. After every wash I use Blackfire Synthetic Spray wax. I think VW does nice blues.

Scott

Nice wheels, and beautiful Passat! I have always loved that body style. It's an old design but still looks fresh today. VW has very tasteful designs in my opinion. I'm sure your enjoying your VR6.

Your paint will more than go the distance, especially if you show it even the slightest bit of care. VW is not known for skimping on quality here.

I couldn't be happier with the paint on my Atlas.

What color did you choose? Of course our Jetta has a paint defect form the factory. It's small, and I don't think its worth messing with the dealer over it. They would only make things worse. Come to think of it, our previous 2014 Jetta had a paint defect also. There was a jellybean sized spot on the clear coat that was rough and hazy. It was like that from the factory and never got any worse.

What color did you choose? Of course our Jetta has a paint defect form the factory. It's small, and I don't think its worth messing with the dealer over it. They would only make things worse. Come to think of it, our previous 2014 Jetta had a paint defect also. There was a jellybean sized spot on the clear coat that was rough and hazy. It was like that from the factory and never got any worse.
Platinum Gray Metallic. I just went over it to do some touch up and apply a new coating. It's flawless.

I saw your other thread. Very hard to tell from a photo what's going on there.

Platinum Gray Metallic. I just went over it to do some touch up and apply a new coating. It's flawless.

I saw your other thread. Very hard to tell from a photo what's going on there.

Solid choice. We liked that color on our previous VW.

Back