Fuel System cleaner and oil analysis?

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer. Doing an oil change on my 19 Renegade with the 1.3L turbo within the next few hundred miles and planning on sending an oil analysis in to Blackstone. Will using Techron or Redline fuel system cleaner mess with the oil analysis? Got about 13k miles on it (5k on the oil, Mobil 1 AFE 0w30).

Thanks!

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer. Doing an oil change on my 19 Renegade with the 1.3L turbo within the next few hundred miles and planning on sending an oil analysis in to Blackstone. Will using Techron or Redline fuel system cleaner mess with the oil analysis? Got about 13k miles on it (5k on the oil, Mobil 1 AFE 0w30).

Thanks!
I'm curious to know why you are using a fuel system cleaner on a vehicle with 13K on it. Are you having problems? If not I think it might be a waste of money.

Just my $0.02

I'm curious to know why you are using a fuel system cleaner on a vehicle with 13K on it. Are you having problems? If not I think it might be a waste of money.

Just my $0.02
I've used a Fuel system cleaner in my Toyota since it was about 3 years old. Because about that time the Stealership wanted to clean my injectors $140. I run it about once a year $12 or less. The car still have very good MPG and performance for a 1.8. Every time I take it to the dealer not often now they want to do an injector clean. You think they would be asking this just to steal from me? 😡

I've used a Fuel system cleaner in my Toyota since it was about 3 years old. Because about that time the Stealership wanted to clean my injectors $140. I run it about once a year $12 or less. The car still have very good MPG and performance for a 1.8. Every time I take it to the dealer not often now they want to do an injector clean. You think they would be asking this just to steal from me? 😡
Yes, yes I do... Not necessarily steal but sell you something you don't really need IMO. In a new car Top Tier gas and drive it is probably all you need for 40K+ miles.

Just my $0.02

Is there any driving style that might be best when using a fuel system cleaner such as Techron or S-1: long highway trips, city driving, engine fully warm or not reaching normal temp? Do any of these situations help or hinder the performance of the cleaner? Planning to dump one or the other into the tank soon.

Will using Techron or Redline fuel system cleaner mess with the oil analysis?
I've wondered the same. Last sample I sent into Blackstone, I noted that I used a bottle of Techron on the vehicle during that oil run and they didn't make any comment about it in the analysis, and nothing stood out in the analysis that would hint that there was some interaction. I suppose if you did have significant fuel dilution (0.5% or higher), then maybe something would show?

Is there any driving style that might be best when using a fuel system cleaner such as Techron or S-1: long highway trips, city driving, engine fully warm or not reaching normal temp? Do any of these situations help or hinder the performance of the cleaner? Planning to dump one or the other into the tank soon.
I would think going on a trip that would use the whole tank would not be the best thing to do, it would just run through to quick. I would let it have time to sit and soak in so a few short trips would be better but that's just my thought process, I may be wrong.

Most advise around town slow driving. Try getting the engine up to temp - do it in the warmer months.

Reactions: JXW
Is there any driving style that might be best when using a fuel system cleaner such as Techron or S-1: long highway trips, city driving, engine fully warm or not reaching normal temp?
I've been using Techron once a year for 30+ years.
Once I let my 1988 fuel injected Accord go about 3 years without it.
Just a reality check to see if I was wasting my money.
The idle started getting a little "lumpy". So I went ahead and put a bottle in.
After about 10 miles of city driving the idle smoothed right out.
So I don't think you have to do anything special.
Since that time I've also used it to improve a lawn mower and chain saw that weren't running right.
With my current GDI Tuscon I use a bottle before each oil change.

I didn't have any luck using the search here but if you Google (include "lead" in your search), there's results (including from here) that Techron, for example, often causes high lead levels in analysis.

I don't know why it would affect lead numbers. I retired from the technical service and quality organization of a major European auto manufacturer. Some time ago - maybe 15 years? - short trip driving was found to be most effective for reduction of carbon deposits on intake valves with Techron additive.

I don't know why it would affect lead numbers. I retired from the technical service and quality organization of a major European auto manufacturer. Some time ago - maybe 15 years? - short trip driving was found to be most effective for reduction of carbon deposits on intake valves with Techron additive.
Yes there was some paper shared here before that consuming the PEA on many days work the best. Even for the pea-based gdi cleaner sprayed on intake, crc advise to heat soak at least 1 hr, and use the car subsequently in a few days will still have cleaning effect. So that is my routine now, 600 km before oil change, i will put redline si-1 full dose, top up gas until full. When the tank goes to half tank, will do cleaning with crc gdi cleaner. A few days later go to change my oil, by then typically my oil will be dark like soot and engine note slightly coarse due to oil get diluted with dirt and gas.

Last edited:
If I'm planning a UOA and use a fuel system cleaner I add it two tanks before my oil change. Then change the oil after refueling from a 1/4 tank with the tank of gas that had no cleaner in it. I add a cleaner two tanks before every oil change, it's easy to remember and the UOA shows nothing out of the ordinary. IIRC reading this method here years ago when I started doing UOA. I can't say if it matters, but at least I know there is little to no residual FI cleaner in the gas using this method.

So why do most guys use a fuel system cleaner just before an oil change?
Because over the years this topic comes up from time to time and respected members suggested adding FI cleaner a tank or two before changing your oil. That pretty much guarantees it won't skew a UOA. I added a bottle of FI cleaner to my van last week that I found cleaning up my garage. It was a Valvoline product and on the bottle it said add to the gas before changing the oil. I found that interesting, and it backs up what I've been doing for a very long time.

I've seen techron make oil very dark, I assume because it was cleaning carbon and some of that was dripping through the rings when the engine wasn't running. But if it showed up as anything in UOA I would expect it to show up as some fuel dilution...

Back