Fuel Mileage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed from conventional yellow bottle pennzoil to PP synthetic and I have experienced a 5% drop in fuel mileage. I have run several tanks through our 2008 Hyundai Veracruz and it has held true through each tank. Why would I get a DROP in fuel mileage. Im using 5w30 and regular grade gas.

change back to what you were using before to get a full A-B-A test to see if it really was the oil.

It sounds odd if all driving conditions are the same. The A-B-A test is the best way to tell though.

AD

Yes, both were 5w30. I was quite shocked. I was averaging 23 on the highway to an from work, now I'm averaging 21. I travel the same way everyday. With very little changes in traffic conditions, so I'm confident that the fuel mileage is spot on. Its actually closer to 10%. I'm thinking about switching back to see if it increases. Its a tough call, though. I really don't want to dump $26 worth of good oil.

Also, on a new vehicle, will YB keep the engine as clean as the PP if I maintain a 3k-5k OCI?

More like a 10% loss, not 5%, with those numbers - [23 to 21].

Try different fuel, first.
I believe the seasonal switching on fuels also allows them to use up old and possible inferior fuel.
Or maybe you got some with too much alcohol in it.

With similar viscosities of oil, a 10% MPG loss or gain is not likely at all.
Maybe it's overfilled or the wrong viscosity? Not what you think?
How about a quick tire pressure check?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
More like a 10% loss, not 5%, with those numbers - [23 to 21].

Try different fuel, first.
I believe the seasonal switching on fuels also allows them to use up old and possible inferior fuel.
Or maybe you got some with too much alcohol in it.

With similar viscosities of oil, a 10% MPG loss or gain is not likely at all.
Maybe it's overfilled or the wrong viscosity? Not what you think?
How about a quick tire pressure check?

I've used 2 different brand of gas in the past 2 weeks, and saw no difference. Not overfilled and the viscosity of the oil on the bottle read 5w30. Do you think a different weight made its way into the bottle? Tire pressure is fine in all tires.

I don't think its the oil, even if it was 20W50 I don't think you would see a near 10% difference. I went from 5W30 to 20W50 last summer and didn't really see a difference at all. I didn't have a consistant commute but still had a normal range of mpg in my tanks.
Have you changed your commuting times? Or have they changed the lights on you. 2 extra lights waiting 2-3 minutes would probably make my mileage go down 5%.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't think its the oil, even if it was 20W50 I don't think you would see a near 10% difference. I went from 5W30 to 20W50 last summer and didn't really see a difference at all. I didn't have a consistant commute but still had a normal range of mpg in my tanks.
Have you changed your commuting times? Or have they changed the lights on you. 2 extra lights waiting 2-3 minutes would probably make my mileage go down 5%.

No, its highway miles 99%. No lights before I get onto the highway and only 1 before the office after I get off the highway. I know, it has me perplexed.

Don't worry, 2 things I'd see that would help you regain your mileage:

(a) fuel dilution over time
(b) shearing down of your oil over time.

(that is, still disregarding the obvious such as pump fuel seasonal variations, calorific content variations, wind resistance, driver input, vehicle load/weight, ambient temperature, etc.)

Q.

p.s. even on dyno tests, 5% variation is considered "normal" for these variations are considered "noise" and to be disregarded.

If you live anywhere near the following areas, you have Reformulated Gasoline which causes fuel mileage to go down severely. You can check it out on the http://www.epa.gov site where they have regulations for Reformulated Gasoline because of environmental concerns:

Virginia
Alexandria
Arlington County
Fairfax
Fairfax County
Falls Church
Loudoun County
Manassas
Manassas Park
Prince William County
Stafford County

If you live in one of these areas, your gas has been oxygenated to produce lousy fuel mileage. I know because when I went to Galveston/Houston area here in Texas my mileage dropped from 27.5/gallon to 17 miles/gallon....LOUSY, LOUSY...

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
I changed from conventional yellow bottle pennzoil to PP synthetic and I have experienced a 5% drop in fuel mileage. I have run several tanks through our 2008 Hyundai Veracruz and it has held true through each tank. Why would I get a DROP in fuel mileage. Im using 5w30 and regular grade gas.

Its possible that regular pennzoil was alittle bit thinner even though its still a 5W30...PP seems to be on the thicker side.

Shouldn't the Veracruz take 5w20 like all the later model Hyundai's. The change in warmer weather can be causing a slight drop in MPG., tire pressure restricted air cleaner or a mixure of all.

Im pretty sure the gas isn't reformulated. Besides its the same gas I've been using for months, unless its been changed out for the season. Hyundai recommends 5w20 to 10w40 for the Veracruz. Hyundai actually recommends 5w20 and 5w30 in the owners manual the same, it gets equal billing. I'm not a huge fan of 5w20. From what I've read its "recommended" for the best fuel economy. I've been using 5w30 since the first oil change. The oil weight has not changed. The only change is conventional to synthetic.

ARB1977,
Is there any evidence that PP is thicker than YB?

My mileage improved in my Kia 2.4 (made by Hyundai) when I went from MC5000 to QS Horsepower. Both 5w30. I did use 5w20 in my Rondo when it was new for a couple of OCI's, no discernable difference but I didn't get a UOA. I just sent off my first UOA, we'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back