Fuel Mileage Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I made a round trip from Austin to College Station, total 225 miles. I have been extra conservative on the gas. The AC was turned off most of the time. The hwy was pretty empty - so I slowed myself down to 62-65 MPH (Limit at 70), I was real easy on take off and shifted at 2.5K RPM. I filled up after I got back, the mileage was 33.7 MPG,
grin.gif
compared to 2 weeks ago I made the exact same trip, and it was 28.9 MPG. I was driving easy then too, the difference was AC was on, and I was driving at the speed limit. The vehicle is a 2002 Camry 2.4L w/ manual transmission. (EPA 24 CTY 33 HWY).

At the current price $2.899 30mins ago, I really would not mind if the speed limit is lowered to 55 mph.
dunno.gif

Will people please stop saying that the speed limit should drop!!
mad.gif

Speed limits should be determined by the conditions of the road, not by fuel economy considerations, political considerations, or anything else. ONLY ROAD CONDITIONS.

If you want to spend a lot more time burning gas because of slower drivers move to crowded citys and only drive at rush hour. Don't think of making a bunch of bad drivers drive even slower.I live in Fla. its where everyone goes to die and they send them all a drivers license.
banghead.gif

Ever since gas got close to $3 I completely changed my driving habits. Previously I was getting 30-33 mpg in my Neon 5 speed. When I filled up today I calculated 38mpg in mostly city driving and some highway. My all time record was 42mpg on a long trip from SF to LA at a steady 75mph with 3 people and their stuff in the car. I think the weight actually helped the aerodynamics by lowering the rear end.
Right now the wipers are in the trunk, tires at 40psi (side wall max is 44) and i spend a lot of time coasting in neutral. I recently switched from 10w30 to 15w40.

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:
Ever since gas got close to $3 I completely changed my driving habits. Previously I was getting 30-33 mpg in my Neon 5 speed. When I filled up today I calculated 38mpg in mostly city driving and some highway. My all time record was 42mpg on a long trip from SF to LA at a steady 75mph with 3 people and their stuff in the car. I think the weight actually helped the aerodynamics by lowering the rear end.
Right now the wipers are in the trunk, tires at 40psi (side wall max is 44) and i spend a lot of time coasting in neutral. I recently switched from 10w30 to 15w40.

This guy say's he can get 50 mpg in his neon:

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/

That guy says a lot of things, and is more like a preacher. Don't think I'd go along with most of his explanations......more like myths but tries to make them sound scientific. IMHO.......

quote:

Originally posted by Warstud:
This guy say's he can get 50 mpg in his neon:

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/

This guy has a lot of "interesting theories". I really don't buy much of what he has to say. I'm sure with enought modifications 50mpg is possible. Just not this guy. I've never been able to repeat the 42 mpg. I only get to 40 once in a blue moon. I really had to work hard to get the 38mpg around town. I don't think I could drive like that all the time. I'll keep driving this car untill the cost of a used Civic Hybrid or Prius comes down enough.

If I want to drive 55MPH, believe me I will. I don't need a lower speed limit to make me do it, nor do I care if I'm getting passed, nor do I care if I'm in front...nor should I care about those things if I'm going to drive slower than others on the road.

BTW, if you want to drive 55MPH, why even bother with the interstate? Find and use non-interstate highways--they're already usually posted at 55MPH.

If you do the research you will find that the insurance cos.(the owners of the largest buildings in every American city)were behind the lowering of speed limits last time in order to pay out less claims and keep more of our money. The fake energy shortage was just a smokeshow. You really have to watch these CLOWNS because while your busy watching one thing they do a switch on you.

quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
If you do the research you will find that the insurance cos.(the owners of the largest buildings in every American city)were behind the lowering of speed limits last time in order to pay out less claims and keep more of our money. The fake energy shortage was just a smokeshow. You really have to watch these CLOWNS because while your busy watching one thing they do a switch on you.

I'm sure that they supported it but it was done to conserve gas. The 'fake energy shortage' was real and imposed by our Arab friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back