Fuel Injector Cleaner vs Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run a bottle through the car for some peace of mind. Been filling up with Chevron 91 in my car (see signature). I've seen pictures of the fuel injectors for this model car and they still looked a bit clogged and dirty even after the owners ran TT gas. Would this really make a difference? I know it won't get as clean as injectors going through a wash cleaner, but I'm poking some brains here for info.

If it makes a difference, then why should I pick one product over the other? Wouldn't they basically achieve the same goal?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the Chevron products in particular?
The last time I looked at the SDS for it, their Fuel Injector Cleaner product looked to be composed of petroleum solvents that would be typical of general low end gas treatment products that you might find in a typical gas station.
The Complete Fuel System Cleaner at least used to contain PEA...it's hard to say exactly what's in it now, but I think it's safe to say it has detergents that will work to remove carbon deposits (even in the combustion chamber).
Plus the CFSC will also contain solvents that are similar to those in the less expensive products for the type of cleaning they will do (which is probably minimal when a small bottle is dissolved in a gas tank).

I've been buying Gumout Regane products for a few years because I'm not sure exactly what's up with Techron's detergents lately, but I strongly suspect the CFSC is the product to go with here. And it's only about 50 cents more expensive than the FIC at Walmart...

I'm too lazy to pull the SDS, but If I recall right the Fuel System cleaner has about 3 to 6 times as much PEA as the injector cleaner.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner is gonna take any steps "backwards" with there product. Run it with confidence per instructions on bottle. Gumout Regane High Mileage and Gumout All in One is also a good fuel system cleaner besides Redline S1 fuel system cleaner.

Yup, I use Chevron complete or one of the high PEA Gumouts, bought one of the Chevron injector cleaners but seemed to have lower detergency and little if any PEA (or whatever Techron is running now).

I agree with all the above. Too bad there isn't a "nutrition information" chart for fuels system cleaners!

Another one to consider is the Lucas "Upper Cylinder Lubricant." This may not have PEA in it, but it's cheap.

Just ran a bottle of Chevron fuel system cleaner thru Wifeys Equinox and noticed smoother idle and better mileage. Am now chasing a tankfull of hytest through it which admittedly has little basis in logic. Just something we do after winter.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
I seriously doubt Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner is gonna take any steps "backwards" with there product. Run it with confidence per instructions on bottle. Gumout Regane High Mileage and Gumout All in One is also a good fuel system cleaner besides Redline S1 fuel system cleaner.

It hasn't they just started obscuring PEA on the datasheet, calling it some weird combo of letters and numbers, I've heard the old SDS used to say it had 32% or thereabouts of PEA and the current datasheet says something like 25-45% of 01154100-5179P, which I'm pretty sure is some internal identifier for the particular poletheramines that Chevron uses in Techron

It's an excellent product, but I have seen quite a few S4 engines taken apart, and those needed good, old hazelnut cream applications.
It is still good to run this through the system, but you had already done this with your regular Chevron fills.

Added: these cars love Italian tuning on a daily basis

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by BAJA_05

It hasn't they just started obscuring PEA on the datasheet, calling it some weird combo of letters and numbers, I've heard the old SDS used to say it had 32% or thereabouts of PEA and the current datasheet says something like 25-45% of 01154100-5179P, which I'm pretty sure is some internal identifier for the particular poletheramines that Chevron uses in Techron

Check out Chevron's foreign language MSDS's. Last I checked, both the French and Spanish one's "decoded" those numbers, revealing PEA as the ingredient. But in reality we know that already because "Techron" is Chevron's trademarked name for PEA and Chevron uses a couple of different patented, nitrogen based PEA cleaners in a kerosene/solvent like carrier.

Fwiw, Chevron still claims it's aftermarket cleaner to have the highest concentration of PEA. How one would verify that is beyond me...

Last edited:
Great thanks guys! Should be it be snake oil since I'm already always filling up with Chevron 91, at least I'll be at peace for $12 for a few thousand miles.

I know that when I run this car hard with WOTs, it seems to really really like it and clean up a lot where throttle response feels immensely better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back