Fuel injection for AMC 304

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm leaning towards a new carb or carb rebuild. I went out and looked and I can't find a name on the carb at all. It's not the stock one but not sure what it is, it's a two barrel. I did notice that when I pumped it by hand a couple times, there was a little gas leaking out of the throttle shaft. It wasn't the side the linkage is on, but where the shaft passes through the opposite side. There's definitely something not right with this carb. I don't think I would be able to rebuild it good enough, as carbs aren't something I've worked on very much. Probably start looking at some new ones.

Need to figure out what you're working with. Edelbrock performer is a 4V manifold.... what ever cobbling has been done to put a 2V on it needs reverse engineering. You're likely better off to put a square bore 4v footprint on it be it carb or EFI.

Pictures would help - you put up a few good pictures someone will know what it is.

Most rebuilt carbs are junk, there are some suppliers that do a quality product but the aren't mainstream parts store suppliers.

While it is true that carbs can run really well, claiming they will match an EFI drivability under all temperatures and conditions is pure fantasy.

If you do the Sniper put at least a .5 inch open phenolic spacer under it on the performer.

Need to figure out what you're working with. Edelbrock performer is a 4V manifold.... what ever cobbling has been done to put a 2V on it needs reverse engineering. You're likely better off to put a square bore 4v footprint on it be it carb or EFI.

Pictures would help - you put up a few good pictures someone will know what it is.

Most rebuilt carbs are junk, there are some suppliers that do a quality product but the aren't mainstream parts store suppliers.

While it is true that carbs can run really well, claiming they will match an EFI drivability under all temperatures and conditions is pure fantasy.

If you do the Sniper put at least a .5 inch open phenolic spacer under it on the performer.
Here are a few pictures, not the best but it was getting dark. There's definitely a spacer or adapter below the carb to bolt the 2V to that manifold. It looks like gas has been seeping in a couple spots, not just where the throttle shaft comes out. Is this the Motocraft 2100?
IMG_0763.jpegIMG_0762.jpegIMG_0761.jpeg

That's a Motorcraft, maybe even the correct one for the jeep.

Does it have a number like 1:08 0r 1:12 on the side body anywhere?

Did you remove a hose from tease plate near the choke when removing the air cleaner, if not that needs a cap obviously...

That's a Motorcraft, maybe even the correct one for the jeep.

Does it have a number like 1:08 0r 1:12 on the side body anywhere?
I will look tomorrow, I think that's what it is. The previous owner said he had tried a 4bbl carb and thought it actually ran better with the one that's on it. He built the Jeep probably 10 yrs ago so this carb has been on it for quite awhile I'm guessing. I might attempt to rebuild it, seems there are a few videos showing how.

Yes that port was plugged, but the rubber cap looked cracked so I took it off, I'll put a new one on it

Last edited:
A 600 cfm Edelbrock would work very well IMHO. Unless you have a heavy foot the carb will be on two smaller throttle bores most of the time which will deliver as good gas mileage or better than the original and the 4 bbl will wake up the old Jeep.

This^^, Though I would add...Run a isolator style base gasket & Edelbrock AFB's don't like more than 4.5-5 PSI of fuel pressure.

Get a ARP carb/flange stud kit, "Red" Loctite the studs into the Manifold after making sure they thread in by hand.

Incredible that you already have Edelbrock intake. A 2V carb on a 4V intake, ***. :unsure:

Put an Edelbrock 1406 carb on. Electric choke, easy install, proven item. 600cfm - perfect

Try a better exhaust - headers, duals if not already installed.

600 CFM is way, way too much for a 304, even with the required new intake you'd have to add so you could bolt it on. I like the OP's idea on the new 350 CFM 2 bbl. Keep it simple.

Many "carburetor issues" turn out to be ignition issues. As mentioned above, get your ignition system in top shape before you spend time fussing with the carb.

Since you already have a 4bbl manifold, I would source a 4bbl carb. Edelbrock makes a 500 cfm 4bbl carb (Part # 1403) that should do well on your 304. Holley also makes some smaller 4bbl carbs. 390 & 450 CFM, plus they offer a 470 cfm unit made for off-roaders.

Squarebore carbs are fuel dumpers; great at WOT but not as good for street manners. Even though, an Edelbrock will work well as it will run on the primaries and the secondaries are vacuum activated. I agree the 500 cfm model makes sense. The smaller size will promote flow through the carb and manifold.
I would use a spreadbore like a Q-Jet, if you can find a good one. Most have been molested. I believe some other spreadbore carbs are available now.

Running a 2 bbl carb on an Edelbrock manifold is a hack job. Pretty lame.

Squarebore carbs are fuel dumpers; great at WOT but not as good for street manners. Even though, an Edelbrock will work well as it will run on the primaries and the secondaries are vacuum activated. I agree the 500 cfm model makes sense. The smaller size will promote flow through the carb and manifold.
I would use a spreadbore like a Q-Jet, if you can find a good one. Most have been molested. I believe some other spreadbore carbs are available now.

Please explain why it is that you think square vs spread bore has anything to do with that.

Running a 2 bbl carb on an Edelbrock manifold is a hack job. Pretty lame.

Edelbrock did at one time sell some manifolds in this configuration, they may still, and they have/had EO numbers.

I was going to do that to my 78 CJ7 but instead went with an upgraded intake with a 4bbl carb and added headers and dual exhaust. It does not have the smooth power the EFI systems will provide but it does sound nice and moves along pretty good compared to the stock setup. I didn't set the world on fire, I guess it added maybe 20-25hp to the Jeep over the stock 2bbl and restrictive exhaust it had. It was half the cost of the EFI setups and, of course. half the power boost too LOL!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, still deciding what to do. I'm leaning towards rebuilding this 2 bbl for now. I've read some conflicting info on just what size carb this would run best on. It sounds like smaller the better, 500 cfm being max. I'm not really out for high rpm horsepower, just want it to be responsive on the low end and run more predictable. This is mainly a trail rig, back road cruiser, hardly ever have my foot in it too much. I've also read about some of the street oriented carbs tend to suck off-road, having stalling issues and such. The Holley Truck Avenger sounds awesome (besides price!), but I also read that in everyday driving it uses a lot more fuel because of how it is designed, really an off-road only carb. Not sure what to believe.

The Jeep has a HEI conversion by D.U.I., good wires and plugs. I don't think ignition is the problem. It also has headers into dual exhaust. The previous owner had mentioned he had a 4 bbl on it at one time (didn't say what it was), and said he thought it ran better with this 2bbl. I'm on board with a smaller 4bbl, possibly spread bore style, but really don't want any issues off-road.

Back