Fuel gauge jitters

I have a 99 suburban and it's the 98 and older body style. The problem i am having is the fuel gauge is fluttering. It moves really fast, so fast it looks like a blur. A small amount, but it is a painfull to watch. I have cleaned the battery cables and every ground on the truck and that don't help. Anyone have a detail video that show how to test the gauge ? I don't want to pull the tank if i don't have to. Thanks !

It sounds like the fuel level sending unit inside the gas tank (part of the fuel pump assembly) is gummed up. Add 2 cans of Berryman B-12 Chemtool to the gas tank when it low on gas, fill up and let the solvents in the B-12 go to work by removing the build up of varnish that is likely on the contacts of the fuel level sending unit.

I'll give it try ,but it may take alittle more of the B-12 as it's a 44 gallon fuel tank. Thanks
I have been thinking it may be the stepper motor in the gauge cluster that's bad. Can't locate one anywhere as it is the "F" style yellow air core motor that i may need. Any one know where i could buy one ?

When i had that problem on my 96 Tahoe it didnt took long time until it totaly stop running and i ended up with an new fuelpump assembly. The wiring in the old one got bad an unisolated. I blame the ethanole mixture in fuel here in Sweden.

I use Star Tron in my 89 Sierra, if I don't after a few tanks it won't read correctly but yours sounds like it could be in the dash. Every once in a while the speedometer doesn't work, a rap on the top of the dash gets it working again, has to be the connection.

It’s a ‘99 GM product, there is no fuel additives that will remedy that condition. Your problem is either electrical or mechanical.

Over here, the problem was solved by dumping 3 bottles of Techron in the tank for 2 consecutive tank fulls. But the problem here is high sulfur content in the fuel, which really messed with the sending unit in the fuel pump assembly.

If this is a gauge cluster problem, you might want to contact this guy (no affiliation and not a sponsor).

You can try a few treatments of chevron with techron. This was ford's so called fix back when the explorer had issues with fuel gauge.

Known issue with GM fuel sending units. Sulfur builds up on the contacts causing issues. One, possibly Two doses of Techron Concentrate should remedy issue. I believe GM put out a TSB in regards.

I've seen this be an issue with the gauge itself, And it sucks to sell a fuel pump module & not fix the issue. I use a variable output resistor to test the gauge before condemning the tank sender.

Up until 2003 GM used Air Core gauge motors which are fluid dampened, over the years the fluid is lost. You can replace the fluid or the motor, I replaced the motor on my 99 K2500 Suburban.HERE is a link with quite a bit of info.

You can test the gauge by pulling the wire connector from the outside of the tank / sending unit. Hopefully it's pretty easy to access on the older designs. Ground that wire and turn on the ignition, the gauge should go straight to full.

Up until 2003 GM used Air Core gauge motors which are fluid dampened, over the years the fluid is lost. You can replace the fluid or the motor, I replaced the motor on my 99 K2500 Suburban.HERE is a link with quite a bit of info.
Exactly. Its a common issue with the fuel gauges. Some refer to it as the humming bird gauge.

I agree that the problem is in the gauge. There are companies that offer repair service for these dash clusters if you don’t wanna DIY.

Where did you buy the motor from ? I have no problem tackling the job, just need the part. I have a 99 K 1500 Suburban. What color was the air core motor you took out ?

I got the motor on ebay, the original I took out had yellow plastic tabs on the back. The new one had white tabs and had a "C1" marking which I believe designates it as suitable for a temp or fuel gauge.

It’s a ‘99 GM product, there is no fuel additives that will remedy that condition. Your problem is either electrical or mechanical.
I was thinking, the gauge in my old Mercedes cars get the jitters due to grounding. Add a supplemental ground to the gauge.

I got the motor on ebay, the original I took out had yellow plastic tabs on the back. The new one had white tabs and had a "C1" marking which I believe designates it as suitable for a temp or fuel gauge.
And the new gauge is working correctly ? My understanding was you could not replace the yellow air core motor with the "C" style white one. But if yours is reading correctly i will give it a try. THANKS !!!

Back