Fuel filter Q. 10 micron vs 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No..

That's your simple answer..

You should check for water in diesel fuel at least once a week. Maybe daily depending on fuel quality and time of year.

Open the drain and drain what is in the bottom of the fuel filter until the color changes. Lighter in color means water present. When the color of the fuel becomes darker/solid, shut the drain.
Of course drain into a bucket..
wink.gif

Water will restrict fuel flow through the filter. Sometimes when a fuel filter is changed, it's not because of contaminant but water. Turn your standard fuel filter upside down and drain into a bucket, check for water being present that way.

The two primary sources of water are from the fuel dispensing pump. Or condensation in your aluminum fuel tanks due to weather conditions..warm/hot during the day, cool at night. It's like taking a beverage can out of a fridge, the warm air meets the cold..condensation happens. Only with fuel tanks, it's on the inside.

As fuel is pulled from the bottom of the fuel tank, water is heavier than fuel, so you end up sucking whatever water is in your tank at engine start up of a morning.

Standard fuel filters only handle some of the water. Emulsified water will pass the media and score your fuel injectors.

Fuel water separators on the engine strip the water out because the media is treated. It collects between the media and the shell. When you shut the engine off, it then collects in the bottom of the fuel filter for draining.

Hope this helps..

btw..you can buy a remote mount Fuel water seperator. This allows you to easily access the filter to drain. And it extends the life of the standard engine fuel filter.

[ January 21, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Filter guy ]

You won't notice a difference between the 10 and the 12 micron filter but if you want to do it right you should buy a proper Fuel/Water separator. I would recommend a unit made by Racor,they make one of the best if not the best Fuel/Water separators for Diesel engines.I placed one on my 91 6.2 between the fuel pump and the factory fuel filter. After 120,000 miles and once a year filter changes the injection pump looked like new on the inside. Racor also offers 2,10 and 30 micron spin on filters.IMHO,It's a cheap investment.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bet you didn't know luber-finer were the first one's to offer a remote mount spin on see through fuel water separator back in 1982. Racor and especially Fleetguard were trying deseperately to understand how Luber-finer did it..

With the Luber-finer LFP2000K ( head and filter. LFP2000C is the filter) it was the first see-through bowl design to allow the owner to check for water.

It was the trucking industry leader in it's day.

Racor is a specialty company specializing in Fuel water seperation. Big in the marine market as well. they're hd'q in Modesto California.
I'll be in Modesto tuesday..
tongue.gif

I priced the filter I wanted at every shop in town.

Napa wanted $45.99 for it.
No other "automotive" shops carry it.

The local truck supply place wanted $15 for the same filter that napa wanted $45 for!

The truck supply place also had the luberfiner brand that comes with the drain valve on the bottom for $14.

I brought the luberfiner home
cheers.gif

Didn't know where else to put this Q.

My diesel truck uses a Wix fuel filter # 33109. This is a 10 micron filter.

I want one with a water trap. Wix offers a # 33405 that will work but it is a 12 micron filter.

Will the slightly larger micron rating hurt anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back