Fuel Dilution: 2022 Subaru Crosstrek FB20D 2,774mi OCI Schaeffer Supreme 9000 0W-20

I mentioned using 0w30 on an Ascent blog and they came at me and said that Subaru foresaw the dilution and it was no problem and I was essentially an idiot for questioning the factory. I for one like the added insurance/peace of mind of thicker oil when dilution occurs. Call me crazy ah well…

Sad to see my wife's otherwise fantastic '23 Crosstrek- which gets driven far and fast at well over 3000 rpm ( 6m trans) - is diluting, the oil looks and smells terrible. The engine is so darned noisy when warmed up it sounds like its going to throw a rod. I'm doing the next and 10w30 going in there. Minimise the VM oading and have a thicker base oil. Those super narrow FB crank bearings cant handle a low moft.

I Hate being a guinea pig for unproven tech. Whats the benefit here? None I see other than some more power with the (absurdly) high compression and subsequent OVER fueling. - Ken
Ever since I installed the Baxter Performance anti drain back adapter on our '22 Crosstrek the noise on start up dramatically decreased. They aren't cheap, but I'm very happy. You also get to run a way bigger oil filter. My car is never going to see the dealer unless there is a warranty claim, but I'd pull it off and put a stock oil filter on for good measure if I ever had to take it in.

I mentioned using 0w30 on an Ascent blog and they came at me and said that Subaru foresaw the dilution and it was no problem and I was essentially an idiot for questioning the factory. I for one like the added insurance/peace of mind of thicker oil when dilution occurs. Call me crazy ah well…
Probably the same group I got banned from for recommending 0w30 to someone outside of warranty specifically concerned about fuel dilution and higher miles. Reasoning for ban was "because information that could lead to warranty denial would not be tolerated"

Probably the same group I got banned from for recommending 0w30 to someone outside of warranty specifically concerned about fuel dilution and higher miles. Reasoning for ban was "because information that could lead to warranty denial would not be tolerated"
Wow that's insane... Sounds similar to the hard handed Facebook nazis. 😂

How does that compute? Wouldn't fuel dilution increase in the oil the longer it is ran? More time to accumulate in the oil I would think.
It’s just the nature of DI. There was 2.0DIT WRX owner a few years back that did a 2k uoa and his fuel was no different than his 5k+ intervals.

Even if you can manage to burn off the fuel, wouldn't the oil viscosity still be lower since contact with fuel permanently damages the oil?

Id probably just run higher grade oil to give myself more of a buffer, if that's a concern.
This car is an easy oil change. Filter up top, and there is an open port in the from undertray to get to the oil drain plug .
Gotta get that slurry off the bottom of the pan.

Ever since I installed the Baxter Performance anti drain back adapter on our '22 Crosstrek the noise on start up dramatically decreased. They aren't cheap, but I'm very happy. You also get to run a way bigger oil filter. My car is never going to see the dealer unless there is a warranty claim, but I'd pull it off and put a stock oil filter on for good measure if I ever had to take it in.
I worry about noise when fully warmed up. A diluted HTHS under 2.5cP with used oil and a narrow rod bearing shell = buh-bye engine. The Subaru are quiet enough with a very good oil and the Tokyo Roki black oil filter.

2% fuel isn't that bad at all for a DI engine - I wouldn't be so worried about this. I'd run it until 5K without concern. The oil looks fine otherwise.

Back