fuel/coolant filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a ~25,000 mile run. The glue had partially failed but the filter itself was intact. It's a Autozone filter 3/8 inline fuel filter. Honestly I only replace it because the plastic tees blew dissolved on me this afternoon on way to to work. 96ish degrees here in Central Fl today.

I had intended to replace it at about 5-6k but was to much of a slacker.
smile.gif

The vehicle is a 1996 S10 2.2l auto 77k miles. This was the first year of dexcool. The water bottle of coolant below was drained from the radiator last year before I flushed it, had to replaced the cracked radiator and hoses. Hence the coolant filter. You can see the sediment in the first two pics(of the bottle) and the last picture of it is shaken up with a flashlight behind.

I removed the filter setup altogether since the plastic/nylon tees are clearly not up to the task. I used Supertech Coolant and distilled again. There was clearly sediment still in the system but I didn't have time to flush it out again.
The last pic is the toilet plunger I bought at CVS to jam in the heater hose to get to work. It worked really well.:)

I inherited the truck with 39k original miles on it from an elderly relative who had been paying huge amounts of money to the FILTH at the dealership over the years. $2k for tires, $1k for complete annual maintenance, tuneups etc... We were pretty ticked that the dealer was charging him so much for doing the work but after he passed and I found out the were charging so much and not doing anything I was livid. We couldn't find his receipts for the work or I would have raised a you know what storm and been on local tv about it. But I digress , the thread is about the fuel/coolant filter, not the human garbage at the stealership.

h9fu.jpg

n0dh.jpg

yxxg.jpg

vni3.jpg

jktj.jpg

Last edited:
4kxr.jpg

v1h4.jpg

This is shaken up with flash light behind it like above:
dv5t.jpg

Dissolved Tee:

jmr5.jpg

I'm proud of this Macgyver toilet plunger handle fix so go easy:)

aikx.jpg

Last edited:
That was a little too long of a run. I had gathered that running fuel filters in coolant applications should be short term things and replace them often. Looks like it did well considering the high mileage.

Why not just get some metal tees or find another way to put a new one in there?

This may not be kosher, but I've had great luck running distilled vinegar (5% acid) and water for about an hour - mixed at a ratio of 25% DV/75% distilled water. Take it for an hour long drive, do a couple of WOT runs and you'll see the coolant turn orangey brown right away. Thoroughly rinse and back flush, repeat, rinse/backflush again and refill with fresh Dex-Cool.

Cleans up all the garbage right down to the reservoir. Heck when you take the hoses off, you can see the shiny bare metal.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That was a little too long of a run. I had gathered that running fuel filters in coolant applications should be short term things and replace them often. Looks like it did well considering the high mileage.

Yeah I went to long initial goal was to replace it every oci, approx 6k miles.

I probably will reinstall a filter But I will have to order some tees. No one around here caries metal ones andsince I was in a jam today I had to us pex fittings from lowes. The pex do work well if you find the right size. Don't know about them long germ though.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yeah I went to long, initial goal was to replace it every oci, approx 6k miles.

I probably will reinstall a filter But I will have to order some tees. No one around here caries metal ones andsince I was in a jam today I had to us pex fitings from lowes. The pex do work well if you find the right size. Don't know about them long term though.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
This may not be kosher, but I've had great luck running distilled vinegar (5% acid) and water

I once had a girlfriend who used the same mix...worked great...
grin2.gif

Some have concluded coolant filters were a solution looking for a problem. Yours is the first year for Dexcool so that may be an issue for you few others would have. What not use a true coolant filter?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Some have concluded coolant filters were a solution looking for a problem. Yours is the first year for Dexcool so that may be an issue for you few others would have. What not use a true coolant filter?

There is absolutely no place to mount a true coolant filter(price is a concern as well as 901memphis said). I wanted to see if this type of filter is viable as well. I wish there was a small inline coolant filter made. I was going to try a Magnefine but I have concerns about the housing holding up and I never got a response from Magnefine about it.

This could be a solution as well but at 190 microns it is just a rock catcher:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...9&ppt=C0203

To be clear, this is not a Dexcool problem. It's a neglect/fraud problem. The original Dexcool did fine for a 16 year run.

Last edited:
I am currently using a similar looking Fram fuel filter on my Taurus. It might take me some time to get any sort of miles on the car but i plan on opening it up too. I doubt i will be able to get 1,000 miles on the car before i open it up though, as i only use it 10 miles here and there to keep her moving.

What i can see already though is less contamination floating in my reservoir.

I attached it just before the return to the pressurized reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back