fuel additives to clean combustion chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that some fuel additives contain a large percentage of what otherwise is just plain kerosene. Has anyone tried just kerosene and what were your conclusions, if any.

I think the kerosine is just the carrier, for a variety of actual cleaners. Otherwise, the cleaners would act funny and condense on the cyllinder walls during compression strokes, I believe.

kerosine is chosen because its lighter than diesel and miscible in gas at low doses.

JMH

A few years back a friend of mine had a Dodge Shadow Turbo. He went to a local gas station where they actually pump for you and he told the guy he wanted it filled up. Well for some reason the guy grabbed the kerosene pump, my friend noticed after about 2 gallons were in. They filled it the rest of the way with gas and he said that was the best his car ran after that odd mixture went thru. I am not claiming that this works, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Eric

Kerosene pump?

Do you mean Diesel?

Kerosene and Diesel are two very different products. Jet fuel is basically a highly refined kerosene. Were you filling up at the airport?

Around here it's common to see kerosene dispensed on one side of the pump and diesel on the other at small town gas stations.

quote:

Originally posted by Sparkman:
Around here it's common to see kerosene dispensed on one side of the pump and diesel on the other at small town gas stations.

Still common in a lot of places Ive been...

JMH

I was at Murrays picking up my new axle shaft last night. There was a guy at the counter buying STP fuel injector cleaner with the words "Made with JET FUEL" in large print on the bottle. I had to bite by tongue not to blurt out and tell the guy "Uh, that's kerosene". Oh well, I'm sure it'll do no harm.

I used to run a little kerosene in my old VW diesel, especially in the colder months. It kept the smoke and clatter down a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back