Front Macpherson strut 'binding/clunking' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the strut mounts / bearings on my front struts on a '93 dodge intrepid, but now there is a couple of major 'clunks' while turning the wheel at very low speeds < 5 MPH.

The struts are 2 years old, but maybe I didn't put them back together correctly. The only new part of the strut is the mounts / strut. I might purchase 2 new Quick-Stuts.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems like the spring might be binding, but definitely something with the strut mount area. thx.

Last edited:
Did you replace the spring pads and get the spring pigtail in its little well? I hate macpherson struts - a big killer of proper front suspension geometry and good steering response.

Was there any spacers between the strut and mount (not mount to body) that could have been left out or placed in the wrong location i.e. above the mount instead of below it??

I might not have torqued the strut / mount nut enough, causing a loose strut mount. The nut is recessed inside the mount, with a squared off shaft and difficult to get at since the strut rod turns when it is tight.

Is there a special tool to torque it down to specs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back