Front end popping - can't diagnose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the work you've been through have you tried to disconnect the sway bar links and tie them out of the way then go for a drive. See if that eliminates the noise. The noise you describe sounds like a swaybar moving. And like I posted before, the Hyundai Kia vans of that era were very known for subframe bushing failures. They were pretty obvious with a visual inspection or letting someone power brake or shift it with a long pry bar.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
With all the work you've been through have you tried to disconnect the sway bar links and tie them out of the way then go for a drive. See if that eliminates the noise. The noise you describe sounds like a swaybar moving. And like I posted before, the Hyundai Kia vans of that era were very known for subframe bushing failures. They were pretty obvious with a visual inspection or letting someone power brake or shift it with a long pry bar.

Sway bar links are new as of a year ago. Still tight. As for the subframe bushings, these appear to be solid rubber and have no visible defects. The way they mount, I'm having a hard time trying to find purchase to pry on them good. But they're really my last solution, and most difficult unfortunately. I'd have a shop confirm this before I replaced them.

Last edited:
Yeah
Originally Posted by Klutch9
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12

Sway bar links are new as of a year ago. Still tight. As for the subframe bushings, these appear to be solid rubber and have no visible defects. The way they mount, I'm having a hard time trying to find purchase to pry on them good. But they're really my last solution, and most difficult unfortunately. I'd have a shop confirm this before I replaced them.

I know the links are new but if you disconnect them then the whole swaybar is out of the picture for causes of noise. If the noise is gone with the links disconnected and you're sure the links are still good, then I'd try the bushings that mount the swaybar. It's not easy to see them fail on a visual inspection but if the someone rocks the car to duplicate the noise and you could be under it, you'd be able to feel them pop or watch them allow for excess swaybar movement. Sometimes you can see the swaybar all shiney from the loose bushings allowing the bar itself to travel excessively back and forth side to side.

+1 on the mount bushings for the sway bar. I replaced everything in my daughters 05 V6 Sportage including inner and outer tied rods and it still would clunk over uneven surfaces and when turning. It was the mount bushings which I couldn't do in the driveway because you have to drop the whole engine cradle just to get to the bolts. Had to swallow my pride and pay a shop $200 to get it done for me. No more clunk. Same with my Wife's old Sedona. Changed everything except the mount bushings and still clunked until they were changed. Whole front end in both cars almost sounded new after that. The parts are cheap but you just can't change them without a lift and droping the engine cradle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back