Front door re-finish

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
My entry door finish started fading real quick. The before pictures actually makes it look better than it really was. It was very dull and the varnish finish was almost gone in some places. I’m thinking it was an interior only finish.

I re-finished it with a polyurethane outdoor varnish and it turned out looking great. I’m not sure how long it will last though. Does anyone know the life expectancy of these?
Image.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Hey, that looks great! (y) I don't think that you'll have the problem that I had.
I just say, keep and eye on it and do it as needed without applying it too thick so that it doesn't peel in the TX heat.

My home used to have a cedar board exterior and I had to finish it with exterior polyurethane every few years just due to pealing. In my case, polyurethane was not the best finish for my cedar. When the house was new it looked very picturesque, bright and fresh. I poly'd my house 14X in the first 20 years due to peeling. And over time, it started to darken like an old carousel(merry-go-round) horse. We finally converted to vinyl siding. Best thing we did!

My mom's house get a lot of sun and the wood doors fade real fast/bad. The only thing that lasts for than few years is

Rust-Oleum 207008 Marine Spar Varnish, Quart, Gloss Clear​

My entry door finish started fading real quick. The before pictures actually makes it look better than it really was. It was very dull and the varnish finish was almost gone in some places. I’m thinking it was an interior only finish.

I re-finished it with a polyurethane outdoor varnish and it turned out looking great. I’m not sure how long it will last though. Does anyone know the life expectancy of these?
View attachment 225983
View attachment 225984
It'll depend on the humidity and the amount of direct sun. If could try linseed oil paint if you're not happy with the durability. It'll dull rather than peel but is easy to renew.

Back