Front Diff and Transfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Trailblazer with 99,000 miles on it. The vehicle has is in 2wd 99.99% of the time. Does it make sense to change the fluid in the front diff and transfer case, or is it mostly an waste of money?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well, your transfer case is spinning a shaft, just not the front shaft. Your front wheels are spinning the front diff I assume.

The quantities are low, so it should be cheap.

Change it and sleep better.

Amsoil SVG in the diff.

I think you are wise to change as noted above. Cheap insurance. You can get moisture buildup, etc in those and new fluids every three years or so is a good idea.

its good idea once in a while put it in 4wd, I did it on my old z71 after 5 year 100% 2wd mode, after switch back to 4wd mode, I can smell the fluid.

Toyota says to operate 4wd at least once a month for 10 miles. I don't have a problem with that. It's good to know everything still works while you're lubing the interal parts and seals.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Toyota says to operate 4wd at least once a month for 10 miles. I don't have a problem with that. It's good to know everything still works while you're lubing the interal parts and seals.

yea I seen alot toyota say that.

On my 2003 Silverado 1500, the right half shaft disengages in 2WD but the left one spins the spider gears in the parked carrier. This means the case never gets warm enough to drive out moisture and the lube gets only partially stirred.

I rarely use 4WD and I have changed the front diff lube twice in 28K miles. Both times there has been a gob of gooey muck that comes out first when the drain plug is pulled. I blame it on the incomplete stirring from just spider or side gears turning.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
On my 2003 Silverado 1500, the right half shaft disengages in 2WD but the left one spins the spider gears in the parked carrier. This means the case never gets warm enough to drive out moisture and the lube gets only partially stirred.

I rarely use 4WD and I have changed the front diff lube twice in 28K miles. Both times there has been a gob of gooey muck that comes out first when the drain plug is pulled. I blame it on the incomplete stirring from just spider or side gears turning.

I note that too on my old z71, yesterday it was raining and cold, i drove by a contruction place with bunch of mud and pot hole with water, I put my truck in awd and spin around the contruction area, I drove a big hard, but fun lol

Hello, This may be unhelpful anecdotal evidence but in the case of both my sister's Jeeps, '88 and '99 Cherokees with 4.0L and NP242-SelecTrac (bought used with approximately the same mileage and likely the same degree of 4WD engagement) her shifting into and out of 4WD got progressively smoother with use.

She'd put it into 4WD whenever it rained as well as for snow. Whether this smoothness came from the transfer case or the front axle hardware I do not know. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back