Front and Rear Diff. + Transfer case on 14 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed all fluids today. Front differential was milky looking. Transfer case was normal. Rear differential was very black. Rear magnet had two small pieces of metal that appear to be shavings. About 1/8 inch in length on one and 1/8 inch round circle on the other.
Truck had 60700 miles. Was replaced with PZ 75w90 Synthetic.
Should I be worried about the shavings or not?

If the diff fluid has never been changed, lots of metal on the magnet and dark fluid is normal. Diffs produce a lot of break in material and have no way to filter it out.

What would concern me more is the milky front diff fluid, since that indicates water contamination. Has the truck been off roaded or otherwise traversed water? If that's a regular occurrence, consider lengthening the vent tube and placing it higher up, maybe as high as the cowl area, and consider more frequent fluid changes. I would also check the fluid after offroading trips or water crossings...if it looks milky, change it ASAP.

It has waded water almost every time it rains here in West Texas. Our streets have no drains or gutters, so streets become small rivers of runoff.

This was the first time to change the fluids. All were OE before today.

I will need to be more aware of water contamination & change more frequently.

The milky looking front axle oil is water emulsion in suspension and could be detrimental to components life.As pointed out by Rangerxl above,there is substantial water ingression and it must be eliminated at all cost .....which is not difficult really.

The very black color rear differential oil indicates principally its anti oxidant additives,among others, has been substantially consumed partly/mainly to counter oxidation phenomenon within system ..... to the extent the base oil too has been subject to substantial oxidation and 'disturbed' in its chemistry.

As regards metal shavings in rear axle magnetic plug, it could be normal considering it's new, nevertheless the use of a slightly higher gear oil viscosity grade say, 75W110 .... 'may' preempt the ill effects of boundary lubrication regimes 'better', thus enhancing components protection.

JMHO
blush.gif

Last edited:
If it was milky looking, would it be wise to do a second fluid change?

How often are using 4WD? I wonder if a bit of heat might help dry out any moisture. Or at the least be good to put some heat into the diff before doing the next change.

4WD drive used infrequently. Usually during winter ice & snow. None of that happened this winter.
I try to go down a dirt road & run 4WD about 1 time per month for a few miles to keep everything lubricated.

I'm not very familiar with the Tundra, so I may be wrong, but I think the front diff on these is engaged all the time. There's no disengagement of the front hubs, so even in 2WD, your front wheels are making the gears in your front differential turn.

In TX you should consider 75W110 seriously. Have this fluid work the cleanup and then dump it in 5000 miles and put in 75W110. Pick either Amsoil or RL both sell those weights.

I have used both and know Amsoil holds up very very very well. I ran Amsoil 75W110 for a full 100K and it was light brown when it came out.!!! I am on RL 75W110, with 10K on the odometer, cannot say which one is good.

Amsoil would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
In TX you should consider 75W110 seriously. Have this fluid work the cleanup and then dump it in 5000 miles and put in 75W110. Pick either Amsoil or RL both sell those weights.I have used both and know Amsoil holds up very very very well. I ran Amsoil 75W110 for a full 100K and it was light brown when it came out.!!! I am on RL 75W110, with 10K on the odometer, cannot say which one is good.
Amsoil would be my choice.

MaximaGuy,good job 75W110 ..
would be glad if you've a picture/uoa to share with us , if you've one ..
blush.gif

I needed to get it finished in a small time frame. So I went with spec weight that I could find. Next time I will plan ahead and order the 75/110.

Also need to decide what to do with fro t vent to raise the height.

Thanks for all the responses.

just went through that. The front diff vent fell off its mounting, was sucking in water. Makes the fluid milky. Make sure the front diff vent is where its supposed to be. probably near the fender well under the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back