From GM: Identifying OE Engine Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently this is big enough problem that they have an article about it:

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/arcv_pdf/12_00_e.pdf

Identifying OE Engine Oil Filters

If you question whether the proper routine maintenance has been performed on a vehicle, there are several things to look at.

One way to check if routine maintenance has been performed is to identify the current engine oil filter. If the vehicle still has the original equipment (OE) oil filter after 20,000 miles, for example, routine maintenance may not have been performed .

For 1998-2001 models equipped with a GM Powertrain produced engine, there are several ways you can distinguish between OE oil filters (factory installed) and non-OE oil filters (which have been installed after the vehicle was new).

This information applies to all vehicles except Saturns , Chevrolet Metro , Tracker and Prizm,
Cadillac Catera, and 3.5L V6 (LX5) engines
with the PV6 cart r i d g e type filter.

1. OE filters have a small part number label
(25.4mm x 35mm). Non-OE filters have a larger label (39mm x 60mm) that includes
tightening instructions.

2. OE filters have a seal with a red teflon
coating. Non-OE filters have a black, uncoated
seal .

3. All filters have an ink-stamped 6 digit Julian date code at the wrench flat end of the filter (065003 = March 5, 2000, 3rd shift). OE filters have an "OE" at the end of the date code. Non-OE filters do not. For Chevrolet Metro and Tracker models, the original filters have Suzuki printed on them, and replacement filters do not. On Chevrolet Prizm models, the original filters are black with white Japanese characters, and a caution in English. Replacement filters do not have any Japanese writing.

The next time routine maintenance comes into question, identifying the engine oil filter may help you determine if scheduled maintenance has been performed.
– Rich Burrell

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
3. All filters have an ink-stamped 6 digit Julian date code at the wrench flat end of the filter (065003 = March 5, 2000, 3rd shift). OE filters have an "OE" at the end of the date code. Non-OE filters do not.

Is that a type on the how to read the date code or am I having a brain **** ? I would've thought it was June 5, 2000 3rd shift. Please explain. Thanks.

Julian date codes are a 3-digit code listing the consecutive day of the year.

March 5 happens to be the 65th day of the year.

On Domestics some will actualy say "Factroy Installed" right on them. Toyota's denso filter installed at the factory has a white square stamped in the center of the filter on the bottom. If one buys the Denso filters either at a Toyota dealership or through mail order they will have Japanees writeing on them. My 6 Denso filters have Japanese writeing in them.

Delco has a huge issue with Counterfiting and over runs being sold as geniune Delco parts.

I once came across a car that had the oil filter on so long that it was faded beyound recognition. It also had rust forming on it and this was in Ga. so no salt or corrisive compunds were applied to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back