Frog Legs

The fish thread got me thinking: Anyone else like to eat them?

Probably 30 years ago, my friend had a small air boat. We would go out frog gigging at night. Small pond, middle of nowhere Iowa. On a good night, we would get 100 pair or more. Big old bull frogs. Freeze most and have a frog feed every fall. Every one invited brought a dish. Keg of beer as well. A few of us would bring guitars, get 1/2 lit up and entertain. Good times.

If you cooked them fresh, the legs would twitch around in a frying pan. :) I miss those days of youth! :mad:

I had some once.. then we found out it was illegal. so once was it 😉

Taste like chicken.

I eat Frog legs , When I was a kids I Would spend all summer at my Auntie and Uncles Cattle ranch I would hunt and fish and my Auntie would cook what ever we brought her to cool. Rabbit, Squirrel, fish from the local ponds and streams, Frogs Trout dipped in flour and fried in bacon Grease yummie. When I was older we would go scuba diving and have a feast on the Sea Life we ,would bring to shore.

I've had them in the resteraunt and wasn't impressed. Expensive for the amount of meat you get. I'd much rather have chicken.

I've had them in the resteraunt and wasn't impressed. Expensive for the amount of meat you get. I'd much rather have chicken.
Kind of like that old Johnny Cash song. Pick them up from the factory...cheaper that way! :D

The fish thread got me thinking: Anyone else like to eat them?

Probably 30 years ago, my friend had a small air boat. We would go out frog gigging at night. Small pond, middle of nowhere Iowa. On a good night, we would get 100 pair or more. Big old bull frogs. Freeze most and have a frog feed every fall. Every one invited brought a dish. Keg of beer as well. A few of us would bring guitars, get 1/2 lit up and entertain. Good times.

If you cooked them fresh, the legs would twitch around in a frying pan. :) I miss those days of youth! :mad:
Tastes like chicken

When the Chinese buffet has them I'll eat some but I always feel a pang of guilt.

kermit.jpg

Yes, I like them and turkey testicles. Don't knock them until you've tried them, both taste very good.
When I worked at a John Deere Dealership, we had a local farmer who raised cattle. When they castrated calves, he would bring in a 5 gallon bucket or more of testicles every year.

Those of us that worked there and some of the farmers would get together and cook them up after work. Side dishes were brought by many. The "good ol" days! ;)

When I worked at a John Deere Dealership, we had a local farmer who raised cattle. When they castrated calves, he would bring in a 5 gallon bucket or more of testicles every year.

Those of us that worked there and some of the farmers would get together and cook them up after work. Side dishes were brought by many. The "good ol" days! ;)
Rocky Mountain Oysters !

When I was a young boy, my uncle Adrin used to take me bullfrog hunting at night. A strong flashlight and a 3-pronged spear. My Grandma would fix the frog legs. I was always shocked when the legs would jump when they were being cleaned. They tasted really good. I've never seen big frog legs like that in any store. I seem to remember they were about the size of chicken drumsticks today. ps. that was about 1996.

Find a real Chinese restaurant and order it. Usually under the chicken section.

It tastes like fish-flavored (tilapia?) chicken and its texture is like chicken. It is also known as "field chicken".

Anyone recall hillarious Chevy Chase part in a movie called Funny Farm? He n wife moved to small country town. They went eat supper in local cafe and he is seen pigging out on what appears to be meatballs. All the customers and workers are cheering him on as he is going to break the record for eating the most "lamb fries!" He spits up and runs out when they explain he is eating sheep balls! LMAO.... The little old country local tells the waitress "I knew you shoulda explained that better on the menu" LOL, as he is pulling Chevy's leftover plate to finish eating them himself.

Grew up catching and eating frog legs prepared by my Cajun grandmother (amazing cook-it was impossible to eat at her house without over eating) and also at local seafood restaraunts. Always enjoyed them.
Never forget what shocked me the first time some older kids took some of us younger kids frog gigging, The shock was the amazing large size of those frogs, how strong and fast they were and how they could be found all over the place. Places you would not even think to look. We caught them everyplace. Even in small ditches along farm irrigation canals etc....

Back