Friends star Matthew Perry passes Age 54

I wish that scientists doctors etc could Identify an "addiction " gene or figure out why some go off the rails. I had an english teacher in high school that smoked for 10-15 years. She up and decided to quit, no patch, no therapy nada.
As in a mutation of the DRD2 gene that is frequently associated with alcohol addiction or the expression of CHRNA2 that has been implicated in nicotine dependence? A decreased number of D2 dopamine receptors seems also involved in a predisposition for addiction.

I can't relate to Mr. Perry's fame and its struggles, but I can relate to his addiction issues, and recovery. Addiction is pure hell; I've been there. Recovery is **** hard but 100% worth it. Sadly, even many who truly want recovery still succumb to their addictions. Don't know if Mr. Perry was clean or not when he died; initial public reports seem to indicate heart attack but who knows. RIP.

I can't relate to Mr. Perry's fame and its struggles, but I can relate to his addiction issues, and recovery. Addiction is pure hell; I've been there. Recovery is **** hard but 100% worth it. Sadly, even many who truly want recovery still succumb to their addictions. Don't know if Mr. Perry was clean or not when he died; initial public reports seem to indicate heart attack but who knows. RIP.
Glad you've made it through! Best wishes for a continued successful recovery.

The linked article says ketamine was detected in his system. This drug is often used to treat anxiety but it can affect motor coordination, it can cause confusion, altered perception, and it can raise the blood pressure. Probably not a good idea to go into the water while on ketamine.

Last edited:
Back