Fried Pancake Dish -- Emperor's Piffle

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's today's breakfast, a dish popular in Bavaria and Austria. It's a thick pancake that you fry in butter and that you pick apart and fry some more. The batter (flour, milk, eggs, pinch salt and NOTHING else) is a little thicker and contains more egg than a typical pancake batter. I just wing the amounts and do no measuring at all.

This dish is usually eaten with fresh fruit or berries (blueberries, lingonberries, strawberries are commonly used) apple sauce, compote etc. maple syrup etc works of course, too. I fried some apples and added those.

schmarrn_s.jpg

One time on a quickie road trip to Richmond, Va, we had breakfast in the hotel. The pancakes were unbelievable. At first, we couldn't figure out what was different, turns out, they were fried.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea here, and I'm sure someone will, when I say "fried" I am referring to panfried.

Had Pancakes on Tuesday morning for breakfast.

Organic plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of sugar, a teaspoon of vinegar, egg and milk.

Had cultured butter and blueberry jam on them.

If I make regular pancakes, they are always about 3 mm thin, almost like crepes, and crunchy. No leavening agent besides egg is in them. I often substitute a bit of the milk with carbonated mineral water, because then the pancakes get crispier. Also, I make pancakes very large at about 11 inches diameter.

Leftover pancakes (plain, without anything like apples in the batter!) are used for pancake soup. Cut the leftover pancakes into narrow strips and put them into broth. That's a popular dish in Swabia.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Explain this part:

Quote:
pick apart and fry some more

It means you panfry a thick pancake on both sides. Once the second side is getting golden you use two forks and pull apart the pancake into chunks. You keep frying those chunks until they get crunchy.

If you want this dish authentic, you should add rum raisins to the batter. I hate eating warm or hot raisins, so I skip them. Almonds are optional. Don't get hung up on what the linked recipe says about what to eat with the pancakes. As I said, fruit, berries etc, all work well.

English language recipe -- pretty fancy

By the way, and I think I may have mentioned this in the past, I once mixed up a bottle of rum and a bottle of maple syrup. I poured rum on my pancakes and the result was delicious!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I like baked pancakes, too. I have no idea what they are called in English. In German they are called Palatschinte or Palatschinken. They are made in a baking pan in the oven (although some people will fill and roll up fried pancakes and then bake them in the oven).

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Palatschinken

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this. If its not fried, its not a pancake. I never heard of baked pancakes. You can bake a recipe that you can also fry, but if its a pancake recipe, its not a pancake if you bake it. After all, we're not talking about donuts here.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I wouldn't expect anything more from you!
LOL.gif

Have you ever had a Dutch baby?

Sorry that I'm so late answering this. No. I haven't. What is it?

Why would I want to leave Montana (tho truth be told, I sometimes do). This is [censored]'s Country. The camping, hunting, and fishing in Montana are unbeatable in the lower 48. I've lived in Minnesota, Vermont, and Montana. This is it for me. And I HAVE traveled a fair amount in my time. Regards man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back