Fresh oil in misc containers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 10qts each of both 5W20 and 5W30 of motorcraft syn blend. The kicker is that all of it is in about 6 containers of random fluid/cleaners such as misc motorcraft coolants and some STRONG smell orange cleaner/degreaser.

These actually came from the local Ford dealership so I'd hope they were atleast "cleaned" beforehand. I am not seeing any abnormal bubbles going on. However, I'm not sold on these simply because of the containers that they were previously used in and how harsh the orange smell is, lol.

Too paranoid? all that oil, it's a shame

Would you consider this oil to be contaminated or still ready for engine use?

If it were me, I'd really be extremely wary about using any of the oil that was put in non-oil containers.. if even just a little of that orange cleaner was still in the container when the oil got poured in, IMHO, the oil would be completely unsafe for use in any vehicle I cared about keeping.

Perhaps get a very large CLEAN container and pour all the smaller containers into that, and then let it all sit for a while for the contaminants to separate, and then draw off the good oil.

Personally, I'd only really consider using it in a beater, at best.

Are you sure the oil isn't used?
Actually, I shouldn't even bother asking that, because I don't think it's worth using, anyway. Maybe in a really old lawnmower.
I think using motor oil with random and unknown chemicals added is a recipe for disaster!!

I think you have some nice oil to start a campfire with. Only way I would use oil in a unsealed bottle is if I was the one who cleaned the container and filled it. Did so on the farm. Tide detergent bottle was real nice to pour from and fill from a barrel.

Why did you receive the oil in random containers to begin with? Were they giving you free oil to use in your lawn mower or generator? Obviously you weren't purchasing the oil otherwise you should get it in a container, or you should've provided your own container.

Its probably fine. It'll take a tiny trace of orange oil to give it a smell, and orange oil won't do it any harm anyway.

BUT if its bothering you, don't put it in your engine.

Rust inhibitor and/or motorcycle chain oil.

Oil that came from a Ford dealership that is put into non-oil containers? I'd go ahead and use it only because it sounds stolen and using stuff that is stolen feels exciting and naughty

Orange hand cleaner has pumice in it, eg, grit. The opposite of what you want.

That's prob lunchbox oi, I worked at a large shop. I have orange cleaner with no grit in it. I'd go to the dollar store and get some clean matching containers for the scammed oil next time.

Find a greasy spot on the garage floor. Pour some of your orange smelling oil on it. Does it clean the grease spot? If it cleaned the spot, stop right there. You have hand cleaner. If not pour more oil on the floor and run across it. Did you slide across the floor or did your shoes grip? If you slipped, good news you got oil. Go ahead and use it.

I would not use it.
Way to many unknowns (like why is it in there in the first place?).
Would you take a teaspoon of orange cleaner and mix it with your motor oil?

The one in the coolant container, well, that one could be fine, but again, you don't know if it was washed out before. If the bottle was emptied by just pouring out, not washed out, then oil added, again, you could have a tablespoon of coolant in there. This would not be the end of the world in a beater motor, but a UOA would not look good.

Pour it all into one container and send a sample to Blackstone. It might be appropriate for topping up in an emergency, or put it into a trigger can and have lifetime supply of hinge &chain lube
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back