Frequent Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

At least a couple times per week I bounce my 19 Crosstrek off of the redline a couple times. I have done it since the vehicle had a couple hundred miles on it. The vehicle has 5000 miles on it now and uses no "detectable" oil. I also do it to my 18 Forester XT again since new. Again no oil use after 14K miles.

Anyone else do this? I can't say if it will help with a DI engine but I do know that since the XTis the wife's vehicle. She drives like a little old lady, which she is. It was a couple thousand miles that I didn't do it...there was much black smote. The day after I really hit it hard..there was no smoke.
lol.gif

My GTI has a stick and I take it to 6800 RPM every time I drive it. The car has 166K on it. I add 1/2 a quart of oil around 4K miles. My wife drives pretty hard, too.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Let us know how that works out for you after 150,000 miles or so. Ed

Works out fine. I redline my vehicles at least 2-3 times each way to work and back, I was especially hard on my 2011 Fusion, and ran OCIs out as far as 17k. Never once did the iron numbers get above 1.2ppm/1k miles traveled, and I never in the 117k miles I owned the car had to add any oil in between oil changes.

My current Subarus I redline every time I pass someone on two lanes (mostly because you have to if you want to live) and neither of them burn oil either. Use a good oil, don't beat the crap out of the engine until coolant and oil temps are above 150* and there is no reason anything untoward should happen from using an engine as it's designed.

My ECHO spends a lot of time at or near redline due to the tiny engine. Working great so far at over 280K, probably the lowest consumption of any of my old cars.

I do it as well. 300 or van it doesn't matter. I paid for the entire rpm range all the way to redline, I'm using it!
lol.gif

I take mine up to just below the rev limiter every time it is warm enough to do such, a couple of times a day.
19.gif

This engine does not eat a single drop of oil whatsoever, but yeah, it only has ~22K miles on it so far.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Use a good oil, don't beat the crap out of the engine until coolant and oil temps are above 150* and there is no reason anything untoward should happen from using an engine as it's designed.

Yeah, but it's just unnecessary / avoidable wear.

... and I drive a 100 horsepower car as my commuter!

No need to bounce off anything

I used to think that was bad for engine but I no longer do. You'd be surprised how many people that have cars over 200k + miles that give it a redline every day. Sustained high rpms are a different story and that is where you'll see higher wear rates. When you think about it, when you floor it it's only at the high rpms from a small amount of time.

Italian tune up!

My old Jetta used to consume A LOT of oil (around 1L/1300km). The trans started slipping so I had to wind it out a lot, and the oil consumption reduced dramatically.

I've never driven any vehicle I've owned like that on a regular basis-other than the occasional merging onto a highway or interstate they all get driven pretty sedately. I've never felt the need to flog a vehicle like that.

The only one I can ever remember using any significant amount of oil is a 70's vintage Ford pickup with a 351 in it, and it was only a quart or so between changes. Everything I've owned in the past has always gone at least 100,000 miles, most of them more than 150,000 miles, and a couple over 200,000 miles without any abnormal engine issues, and every one of them was running without issues when it was sold or traded.

Originally Posted by Al
It was a couple thousand miles that I didn't do it...there was much black smote. The day after I really hit it hard..there was no smoke.
lol.gif

I would be seriously concerned about any engine that only has 14,000 miles on it that was blowing "much black smoke" no matter how it was driven.

So far the only vehicle's I've taken to 150K miles were flogged relentlessly that were performance oriented were my 1995 and my 2001 Trans Am's. They both did amazing, engine wise! The diff on t he '01 WS6 did give out ,though, but really, it's a known issue. The transmission was doing alright except for the T/O bearing, which I replaced and noted the clutch had a LOT of life left, at 80K, and reverse's syncro was starting to really suck (a known issue with the T56). The 1995 Trans Am had the transmission destroyed at 120K miles before I bought it, as well as an axle sheared in half (neutral drops, I bet...). It went to 170K miles for me, with just a heater core replacement. Both engines were running strong with very minimal oil consumption, and no smoke. The LS1 burned the same amount from 70K miles when I bought it, to 150K when I sold it. About 1/4 quart per 4K miles. Both ran amazing the day I got rid of them.

Now, the other cars I have experience with, a G20 (SR20DE), I took to 145K miles, and it was fine 100% except the transmission went out a few k after a fluid drain/fill at 115K miles. IT wasn't acceleration induced failures. I flogged it relentlessly, too. Ran great.

Multiple police cars, my Dad and I b eat the [censored] out of them, AFTER the PD's did for 60K miles. We averaged about 220K miles out of the 4.6L mod motors. By then they were using a fair amount of oil where you poured a quart in at every fill-up. Pretty lame. Not a Ford fan.

My 2015 CX5 constantly got t he stick. Everything was flawless to 106K miles when the fuel pump and fpr both died at the same time, 5 minutes after fuelling up...also a diff I flooded during a stream crossing at flood stage. Neither have anything to do with WOT usage.

I guess in short, I have not yet found a problem with going WOT in a vehicle, ESPECIALLY from a roll where the diff,etc. isn't stressed.

Maybe it's after the 200K mile mark that it matters? Oh, well. So much more that can go wrong with a car than the drivetrain to worry about that, specifically.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Originally Posted by Al
It was a couple thousand miles that I didn't do it...there was much black smote. The day after I really hit it hard..there was no smoke.
lol.gif

I would be seriously concerned about any engine that only has 14,000 miles on it that was blowing "much black smoke" no matter how it was driven.

I am really not bc it was driven like a little old lady for a couple thousand miles on short trips. Now that I blow out the carbon every couple weeks. Its fine. And I have another 66K miles of warranty on it. I intend to keep each car less than 8 years.

Sounds like I am not alone. Its quite enjoyable. No downside that I can think of.

Now, the other cars I have experience with, a G20 (SR20DE), I took to 145K miles, and it was fine 100% except the transmission went out a few k after a fluid drain/fill at 115K miles. IT wasn't acceleration induced failures. I flogged it relentlessly, too. Ran great.

The SR20DE was one of the best engines ever made. Mine consumed to a traffic accident at 165K miles after I gave it to family. Used no oil at that point. I thrashed it hard on occasion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
For me, a day without WOT is like a day without oxygen to a regular person.

You and I think alike.

Originally Posted by Donald

+1 but on 100,000 miles.

First car was an 86 Mustang with the 2.3. Had 2 throttle positions, Idle and WOT. Going up a hill was whatever gear (4 speed stick) and whatever RPM - usually 4-5k. Sent it to the boneyard at 175k because the body was shot. The engine still started first thing and used little oil and had no smoke.

If a 1970's vintage 4 banger can survive that I'd think a modern engine would have no problem going the distance.

As sad as it is, I can't hit "redline" anymore (silly electric cars, ha). However, when I had my Marauder it saw redline at least 2-3 times a day. With the built trans and shift kit, the 1-2 shift would chirp the tires and it was ohhh so much fun!

225k miles and it didn't use a drop in between 5k changes. That 4.6 DOHC really loved to wind out, and sounded amazing doing it with a CAI and the rear cats deleted.

Reciprocating mass and multiple daily redline's. It would be interesting to see the wrist pin wear and piston scuff marks after 150k miles. I had a Toyota rice-mobile pass me on the highway 16/I-5 interchange a few years back. Sounded like a formula one car as he passed me. I ran over half a crankshaft with a couple still connected pistons about a mile later. The kid was in the breakdown lane with fire billowing out from under the front of the car. I was glad to be at the front of a future traffic jam for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back