Free video editing software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I installed a TV tuner on my laptop. It's a pretty neat device - the Windows Media Edition finally became useful. With a TV guide, viewing and recording shows is very easy.

The problem is that the recorder does not recognize commercial breaks. So when I burn the shows I want to watch on a DVD, the commercials get burned as well.

I want to edit the recorded TV programs before I create the DVD. Do you guys know any free video editing software that will let me do that. I need something like Audacity but for MPEG 4 files.

If all you want to do is knock commercials out try Cuttermaran. Quick and only I-frame specific (1/2 second or so) but very easy... and did I say quick?

I assume you have MPEG-2 video files, the DVD standard, and not divX style MPEG-4s, which require resampling for DVDs.

If you don't mind microsoft, windows movie maker is free with XP and likely enhanced in media edition...

not entirely free, but I use snap stream's beyond tv. It does a great job of recording and editing the commercials. They have a free one month trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back