Free 2007 Ford Five Hundred

You did get the keypad code for the doors right?

The one that's on the trunk hinge? :ROFLMAO:

I had a 2008 as a company car (they decided to rename it the Taurus that year) it was a solid car with the 3.5L/6 speed. Same color as this one. I was in Las Vegas at the time, they ordered it with a $50 factory block heater. 🤦‍♂️

So my daughters sister needs a car...again. I am either an enabler or just want my daughter to be able to see her sister from time to time.
My buddy who purchased the Lincoln gave it to me for free. Lots of story behind that, but we are like family. 2007 Ford Five Hundred. 170,000 miles
He kept on the maintenance. I needed to replace the battery, fuel pump, fuel filter and brakes(I will do the brakes Friday). I will have about 800 bucks in it when said and done. Might do the plugs, but it runs nice. 170,000 miles. I think she can get 3 to 5 years out of it she does not go far.
Had to buy the fuel pump ring tool, not much room under the back seat to get at. Runs nice and will clean up well. Anyway some photos and video.
View attachment 97846
View attachment 97847
View attachment 97848
View attachment 97849
View attachment 97850
Video of it running. Pretty quiet for 170,000

I put many hours and mileage on one myself, only thing that died on me was an alternator.

Use a cheap full synthetic oil, with a decent filter. Use a bottle of Lucas.

These are are known for motor mounts failing. Swap them and it'll run like new.

A solid 7/10
I'd kill for that condition paint on my DD
It'd be a 10/10 if the salvage yard nets you the alloy center caps, and a 30 second buff of the headlights
Sounds like some finishing touches the daughter could kick into her car, really make it hers (y)
You did get the keypad code for the doors right?
I did get the codes.

You might want to consider replacing the water pump proactively (if it hasn't already been replaced). When it fails it could end the car's life. This is a well-known trouble spot on the Duratec V/6s (and a stupid design IMO).
The one on this vehicle is not timing chain driven. It is driven off the back of one of the camshafts.

Didn’t it have a terrible cvt transmission?
This car is FWD so it's a 6 speed Aisin box, but I have an '07 Freestyle w/200K on it and the CVT has been great. It's actually nice to drive, and it's been completely reliable for me (and there a lot of these out there w/>200K on them). There were some input shaft failures on some--mine has been fine. It's basically been used on truck duty for the last several years and this thing will not die.

The 500 looks like a nice car. Besides the h20 pump, my recommendation would be to pull the throttle body off and clean it--this has been a known issue on these as well (dirty TB's causing excessive movement on the wipers on the sensor film--and I don't think the sensor is available separately). I see no reason this car won't go to 250K with moderate maintenance. It's the most boring car on the road, but it's solid, safe, reliable and doesn't drive that poorly.

they were pretty much a copy and paste with different interior/powertrain until the 2011 taurus and explorer showed up.

also inherited the world’s worst turning circle
the turning Circle of my 2009 Sable was WAYYY tighter than the one for my current 2013 C-Max..

Wow the paint is nice. Down here in Texas we don't get the rust, but the sun does bake the paint off the roof, hood and trunklid, as well as degrading plastic parts.

I grew up in Oregon, so it looks like you are in Western Washington. Lot more old cars up there than down here because the sun doesn't destroy them. Down here you need to put everything in the garage that will fit to make it look nice 15-20 years down the road.

You might want to consider replacing the water pump proactively (if it hasn't already been replaced). When it fails it could end the car's life. This is a well-known trouble spot on the Duratec V/6s (and a stupid design IMO).

It's only a known issue for the FWD Cyclone V6s (3.5/3.7 Duratec) and that's because they use a timing chain driven water pump.

This is the old 3.0 Duratec and it shares nothing architecturally with the 3.5 Duratec -- this 3.0 uses an exhaust cam driven water pump that's mounted on the rear of the engine -- opposite the timing chain drive.

Total non-issue with the 3.0 Duratec

So my daughters sister needs a car...again. I am either an enabler or just want my daughter to be able to see her sister from time to time.
My buddy who purchased the Lincoln gave it to me for free. Lots of story behind that, but we are like family. 2007 Ford Five Hundred. 170,000 miles
He kept on the maintenance. I needed to replace the battery, fuel pump, fuel filter and brakes(I will do the brakes Friday). I will have about 800 bucks in it when said and done. Might do the plugs, but it runs nice. 170,000 miles. I think she can get 3 to 5 years out of it she does not go far.
Had to buy the fuel pump ring tool, not much room under the back seat to get at. Runs nice and will clean up well. Anyway some photos and video.
View attachment 97846
View attachment 97847
View attachment 97848
View attachment 97849
View attachment 97850
Video of it running. Pretty quiet for 170,000

You might want to pick up a spare transmission. I think nearly all of them failed. My company had a fleet of them and all of them failed, stranding salespeople all over the country. Ford wouldn’t help because it was shortly after warranty. We are talking thousands of cars. So company moves to Chrysler who had started offering 100k warranties. And that’s another whole story!

Back