Frankentruck power steering question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day!

I am building a Daimler-Dodge Dakota 300D - 1985 OM617 diesel in a 2001 Dodge Dakota - and have a power steering fluid question.

The Mercedes (using the stock 65 bar Vickers vane pump, probably) used Dexron per the owner's manual. The Dakota (using the stock rack, definitely) had a factory fill of MOPAR power steering fluid, but starting in 2002 the fill, and suggested replacement, was ATF+4.

I will likely be installing new seals in both the pump and the rack. My question is, after replacing hoses, seals, etc., what should I be putting in for fluid? After a lot of reading, I've pretty much settled on Redline PSF - any reason to not do this?

Interesting note on that from Cardone - https://www.cardone.com/notallfluids - that echoes threads I have read on here about the lack of defined standards.

My secondary question is whether or not the Mercedes pump will perform properly driving the Dodge rack. Flow and pressure specs are hard to find... Looks like the relief on the Dodge pump is 100 bar (1450PSI), and the flow rate should be 2.4-2.8GPM. The Mercedes pump is good for 943PSI - should I give up on that idea and get a different pump?

Are you sure you want a 1985 617? Thats the unit with the Klima relay, tach pickup from the flywheel, and the EGR computer, which affects other things, even if you bypass the EGR.

The Daimler pump can run on ATF and on sheet 236.x (I believe .2) hydraulic/ATF. Frankly I wouldnt be terribly concerned running Redline ATF, since it says:

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda and many others.

This fluid also satisfies power steering units requiring GM PN 1050017 or 1052884 (Spec Number 9985010), Chrysler Spec Number 5931, and Ford Spec Number M2C33-F. It also satisfies the hydraulic specifications of Denison HF-O, Vickers vane pumps and Sundstrand piston pumps.

Suitable replacement for Eaton Supercharger fluid, GM pt# 12345982, AC Delco pt# 10-4041, Ford pt# XL-4, Ford ESE-M99C115-A, Toyota pt# 08885-80108

I think I would fabricate a bracket to use the factory Dodge PS pump-mixing and matching pump & rack is unlikely to work well (IMO). I can second the RL PS fluid-that stuff is darn near bulletproof (as are most RL fluids).

JHZR2, Bullwinkle, thank you!

After I posted, I found that the Dakota 2.5L uses the same rack and a compact PS pump with a remote reservoir, one that should work.

Thanks also for confirming that the Redline PSF should be fine.

JHZR2, the Klima relay won't be an issue as I'm keeping the complete Dakota AC system, the flywheel will be stock, and I'm not sure what else the EGR computer affects - can you fill me in about that?

Originally Posted by Thomcat316
I'm not sure what else the EGR computer affects - can you fill me in about that?

Best I can tell, the EGR computer (which went to the scrapyard with the rest of the iron oxide) is only useful for controlling the EGR valve function and driving the tach. Has my reading missed anything else important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back