Franken Brew

2021 F250 4x4 6.2 V8
Long story short brought truck home everything sounded great .
1000 miles I wanted to get factory fill out , I'm sure Motorcraft syn. blend 5w30 .
Put in 7 quarts Mobil 5w30 ep , engine sounded ticky. Ran it 300 miles dumped it and put in Quaker State 5w30 . Instantly back to quiet .
I will be towing a 6,000 lb trailer and was thinking of doing a home brew of 5 quarts of 5w30 and 2 quarts 5w40 all Quaker State during summer towing season . Straight Quaker State 5w30 for Michigan winter .
?? Any thoughts on this ?

I know exactly what you mean which is why I don’t use Mobil1 any longer and haven’t in some years. However it is a well known topic which seems to draw a lot of controversy. Quaker State Full Syn is one of my go to oils.

Quaker State is a quiet running oil in my car. I like the QS high mileage 5w30 oil the best in my car.

Ohh.... And very good to see you posting again.

Well mixing QS with QS is a very good thing. Typically additive package is the same within the same brand of oil.

Just higher treat rate for full synthetic vs semi synthetic.

And in your case it's full synthetic and full synthetic being used.

My Cam2 Superpromax and full synthetic have the exact same additive package... Just the full synthetic gets a higher treat rate. 80 ppm of molybdenum full synthetic vs 40 ppm Superpromax. And boron 180 ppm full synthetic vs 100 ppm of Superpromax semi synthetic.

That thing will probably run on kayro syrup.

Had a work F250 w/6.2 which did a hard 150K on cheap quick lube oil changes. Handled everything like a champ. Hauling, dusty job sites, bed with camper loaded up with tools at all times, you name it.

I wouldn’t church it up. I’d just run your favs 5w30 straight up and call it a day.

I know exactly what you mean which is why I don’t use Mobil1 any longer and haven’t in some years. However it is a well known topic which seems to draw a lot of controversy. Quaker State Full Syn is one of my go to oils.
Yeah I'm not looking at opening that can of worms . Every vehicle I have tried using Mobil it's been the same outcome . VW , Volvo , Chevy , Ford .

I would give it a go with 5W30 if that is what the truck is rated for. At the end of an over the summer OCI test the viscosity with a blackstone test or you fingers compared to virgin oil. I'll bet there is not much difference if they are the same temperature.

mixing is fine if that makes you feel good but I think its extra hassle for no gain.

Currently have M1 HM 5W20 in my Coyote. Smooth and quiet as a mouse. No difference between that and PP 10W30 I ran last year, although it is the HM flavor. Looks like you're one of the few with the detectable sound. I wonder if it would have become quieter over time. Jeep 2.5/4.0/258 engines were prone to M1 "noise" back in the day.

Currently have M1 HM 5W20 in my Coyote. Smooth and quiet as a mouse. No difference between that and PP 10W30 I ran last year, although it is the HM flavor. Looks like you're one of the few with the detectable sound. I wonder if it would have become quieter over time. Jeep 2.5/4.0/258 engines were prone to M1 "noise" back in the day.
Reading the comments on the Ford truck forums a lot of folks complain of the noise these engines make . It could be the push rod design ? Who knows , glad I found a oil the truck seems to like early on .

Yeah I'm not looking at opening that can of worms . Every vehicle I have tried using Mobil it's been the same outcome . VW , Volvo , Chevy , Ford .
Yes, me too. Including Chrysler, GM, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota
As mentioned, QS full syn is a go-to oil but, so is Walmart SuperTech full syn. WM oils keep my engines quiet too.

Back