Francis Scott Key Bridge (Baltimore) hit by Cargo Ship and Collapsed

It's one of the world's major shipping lines. They aren't going to run away from this. They can't stop shipping to the US.

If it turns out that someone (a First Worlder even) sold them bad fuel which caused the ship to stall and crash, the shipping company has a claim against them. The relatively little fuel dealer is unlikely to have hundreds of millions of dollars though.

I drove through Baltimore on I-95 N (coming from Florida back to NY) at approximately noon yesterday and traffic was pretty normal. I knew nothing about this mishap until later on as I was listening to CDs. I'm surprised I didn't see an increase in traffic on I-95.

I didn't read all 7 pages of posts so it's probably already been mentioned that the ship gave a 'Mayday' when it lost control and that caused authorities to stop traffic on the bridge which most likely saved many lives.
If you’re traveling between Richmond to Boston, and all the major cities in between, this bridge is pretty irrelevant. I’m in dc all the time, only once did I drive this bridge in lieu of the tunnels.

Sure, absolutely it’s a path for hazmat to bypass the tunnels. I guess the trucks take the opposite side of the beltway, or 301 instead.

Reactions: pbm
If you’re traveling between Richmond to Boston, and all the major cities in between, this bridge is pretty irrelevant. I’m in dc all the time, only once did I drive this bridge in lieu of the tunnels.

Sure, absolutely it’s a path for hazmat to bypass the tunnels. I guess the trucks take the opposite side of the beltway, or 301 instead.
Your issue will be the 31,000 cars per day that used to take the bridge will now be on the other two routes. Granted probably only rush hour will be an issue.

They destroyed a critical piece of infrastructure risking the prosperity of our good citizens. Call it what you want. Seizing there assets before they embezil them and claim bankruptcy is fine with me. There is no doubt of the loss or who caused it.
Can you be a little more clear? I see the owner is a company in Singapore, which is a small city state. It was last invaded in WW2 by the Japanese if I recall my history. I'm listening to what you are saying, but need elaboration.

What bothers me is wether it lost power or not, why is it so far away from where it should pass under. I don't see any major corrections when it does have power
Generally the PMS should load shed favoring propulsion and navigation - in this case the bow thruster that could have minimized the direct bow hit with a slight bow heading nudge - the data logger will show if that thruster ever got power …
Wind is the largest environmental load - but only 3 mph that morning … visibility was good …

Last edited:
Can you be a little more clear? I see the owner is a company in Singapore, which is a small city state. It was last invaded in WW2 by the Japanese if I recall my history. I'm listening to what you are saying, but need elaboration.
I am not talking about a country. I am talking about the ship owner and more importantly whomever insured it. We need to seize those funds before they drain there accounts and declare bankruptcy. Might already be gone.

We regularly seize accounts of cartels, oligarchs and money laundererers. Why not this?

Several years ago I was working the night shift at the docks on the Houston Ship Channel. It was a little windy, and a ship was coming in hot with a tailwind toward a sharp curve right before the Washburn Tunnel. I could see sparks coming from the anchor chain as they dropped it. I believe they still had power as they were able to go where they needed to go in a few minutes. I thought the anchor might damage the tunnel but the ship stopped before it got to it. The anchor didn't seem to do too much. Something to see.
And hear !

I am not talking about a country. I am talking about the ship owner and more importantly whomever insured it. We need to seize those funds before they drain there accounts and declare bankruptcy. Might already be gone.

We regularly seize accounts of cartels, oligarchs and money laundererers. Why not this?
According to some quick googling, the ship was chartered by Maersk with their customers cargo. Insurance companies will probably have to payout first depending on the contracts. It will be interesting to watch what happens. I dont doubt there will be some level of corruption along the way but Maersk is pretty big and will likely have some amount of accountability when things shake out.

Build first, sue later. Biden already said the feds will pay 100%.
The feds are not going to pay 100% not a chance on earth.
The US taxpayer is going to pay 100% under orders from the feds. Not only that, but they’re going to borrow it and you pay it back with interest.

I’m just trying to teach the young there’s no such thing as federal money. :)

Last edited:
What on earth are you talking about? Are you denying the Dali destroyed the bridge? We know who owns it. And we know who insured it. All those documents were required before they entered port.
Who do you think is denying the Dali hit the bridge? Apparently YOU have a personal problem with the vessel having an accident. It's a sad event that hasn't been accused of, and doesn't need to be accused of being a terrorist attack. Please to relax Mr Conspiracy theorist.,,

I work for Consol Energy and 90% of our coal travels through the port. Our loading area is near the bridge. We were talking about the impacts for us today while under ground

Our mine is down to 4 days a week with optional Friday. One of the sister mines is at 3 days a week, as of today

Who do you think is denying the Dali hit the bridge? Apparently YOU have a personal problem with the vessel having an accident. It's a sad event that hasn't been accused of, and doesn't need to be accused of being a terrorist attack. Please to relax Mr Conspiracy theorist.,,
Where did I say anything about terrorism? Please quote? This is like the fifth time you try to mis quote anything I said.

I said we should seize assets of those who are supposed to pay before they hide their assets. If I cause a accident in my car I or my insurance must pay.

We the taxpayers are tired of paying.

Yes coal is going to take a hit. Western Maryland trains always heading to the port full of coal.
I think a lot of grain also goes out of the port.

It's one of the world's major shipping lines. They aren't going to run away from this. They can't stop shipping to the US.

If it turns out that someone (a First Worlder even) sold them bad fuel which caused the ship to stall and crash, the shipping company has a claim against them. The relatively little fuel dealer is unlikely to have hundreds of millions of dollars though.
Ships of that size do not buy fuel by the gallon, The buy fuel called "Bunker fuel". Which the best description is condensed fuel. They don't want to cut their cargo carrying capacity, buy using it for hauling gallons diesel of fuel . What they have on board is for lack of better words , a 'mini refinery' . The ship turns the bunker, into fuel that they run in the engines. The company I worked for sold the ships, fuel treatments and conditioning chemicals. I would think pump problems would be possible issue over bad fuel. That's just a wag at this point of the official investigation.,,

Where did I say anything about terrorism? Please quote? This is like the fifth time you try to mis quote anything I said.

I said we should seize assets of those who are supposed to pay before they hide their assets. If I cause a accident in my car I or my insurance must pay.

We the taxpayers are tired of paying.
The actors involved are big enough to both pay massive judgements and also hire legions of lawyers. This may drag out for decades in the courts, but Maersk is not going to leave the US shipping market and isn't going to fly by night.

Back