France passes bill to allow police remotely activate phone camera, microphone, spy on people

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than anything else, I wonder what people are talking about, and why they are talking about, stuff cops would give a (edit MOD) about.

There are cameras, microphones, satellites, undercovers, and rats, everywhere.
If you couldn't say it to your grandma, then you shouldn't be saying it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The horrid things the evil french gov does to their people is evidence that what can happen there will eventually happen here and because of that never give up the guns. The evil tyrants always take the guns.

It will require a backdoor given by the manufacturer. They can't directly do that to any phone. I hope apple, google, and other companies refuse to follow the law and will simply not sell their product in France. People will just order from another country instead or some entrepreneurs will travel to a nearby country to buy and resell them.

Speaking directly to the topic in the video at min 20:08 ...
They state that the French functionality is only to be engaged upon the authorization of two judges. So, in essence, this is not unlike getting a warrant for a phone tap or placing surveillance equipment in private areas; a judge has to see probable cause affidavits and then issues a warrant if PC is properly established and satisfied. How's this any different than what we have today here in the US?
Reasonable suspicion leads to probable cause which then leads to a warrant by judge (if approved).
I don't have a problem with that; it's a legit process.

I do have a problem with the technology being present in my phone; that's very disturbing. There should be a way for me to shut it off without outside override.

Last edited:
I do not like this idea one bit. What is next, how about using your smart TV to spy on you in your home.
What I and my family do is no business of some cop who is bored and snooping on people. As far as saying you never do anything that would interest the cop, just remember that they will make the rules and decide what and when to snoop.

The phone has to be activated though; correct? If I buy a phone for the use of the camera and never activate it, I'm good; correct?

The reason why I ask is because I don't know much about cell phones, but I hear they have great cameras.
^ As soon as you power up any modern Apple device it is trackable (Worldwide). The only escape would be a faraday cage or cave etc.

In the same vein as being yanked out of my car and thrown to the ground for making an arse of myself during a traffic stop, I don't really think I have anything to worry about if I don't suddenly decide to become a fugitive / criminal. They have to have some reason to want to see and hear what's going on with my phone, because all they're going to get presently is either a good view of my kneecaps or a good view of my couch fabric, and the sound of my T.V. This law isn't for the purposes of spying on the general public for the fun of it, but for helping the police track down somebody who's a danger to the public.

You don't think the NSA built that massive data center in Utah for nothing do you?

EFF_photograph_of_NSA's_Utah_Data_Center.jpg

a judge has to see probable cause affidavits and then issues a warrant if PC is properly established and satisfied. How's this any different than what we have today here in the US?
One word. Abuse.

If anyone thinks that's not possible, I'm sorry to tell you it occurs regularly. I'll simply cite ... oh nevermind, I prefer to not get banned for talking about adult stuff. Do your homework.

I use Apple and know they will not allow anyone to remotely access a phone. If this is available then there idea of selling secure devices is out the window.

They don’t even unlock data of suspected terrorists

Guessing they have to plant or install software where user enabled microphone and camera and then with law legally can use the evidence gained.

If you're thinking that someone has tapped your phone, find a tv channel that plays old reruns of shows like All in the family.
When you go to bed leave the tv on and your phone by the tv speakers all night.

Speaking directly to the topic in the video at min 20:08 ...
They state that the French functionality is only to be engaged upon the authorization of two judges. So, in essence, this is not unlike getting a warrant for a phone tap or placing surveillance equipment in private areas; a judge has to see probable cause affidavits and then issues a warrant if PC is properly established and satisfied. How's this any different than what we have today here in the US?
Reasonable suspicion leads to probable cause which then leads to a warrant by judge (if approved).
I don't have a problem with that; it's a legit process.

I do have a problem with the technology being present in my phone; that's very disturbing. There should be a way for me to shut it off without outside override.

While I agree with you to a large degree…

Remember what people did and what they conveniently left out in a FISA court… Just saying.

And the belief patterns of people aka many, many different types of belief patterns people can have that will greatly cloud their judgment and thinking in regards to circumstances.

It will require a backdoor given by the manufacturer. They can't directly do that to any phone. I hope apple, google, and other companies refuse to follow the law and will simply not sell their product in France.
No manufacturer backdoor necessary, they just buy that data from some app, that you gave access to your camera and mic to make it work.

A lot of folks for example give Instagram, TikTok or Facebook access to location, mic and camera. Could be also some navigation, or your camera app andwhatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back