Framing around electric meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Looking for some ideas on what to do with one of my many little household nightmares. My house was built in 1973 and is aluminum sided from that vintage. I've got this wooden cob-job going on around my electric meter that I'd like to replace with something more weather proof. I don't have the knowledge or resources to bend aluminum, but was thinking maybe some vinyl molding or the likes?

Yeah I know this service is no longer to code, and sure, the siding could be updated, but neither of those are happening anytime soon if I can help it.

FWIW, this is the back of my attached garage. My 150A breaker panel is about on the other side of the meter.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I think you are stuck with the crumby plywood behind the meter box and I can't think of anything better than the wood trim moulding.

Heck, I'd just sand it really well, prime it, and apply a good exterior paint,
And call it good for the next 5 years.

Yeah, definitely stuck with the plywood behind the meter channel, but I wouldn't mind covering with some vinyl, etc...

The main thing is the wooden casing around the perimeter is weathered and soft.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, definitely stuck with the plywood behind the meter channel, but I wouldn't mind covering with some vinyl, etc...

The main thing is the wooden casing around the perimeter is weathered and soft.
frown.gif

Honestly, I'd just replace it with some new wood moulding.
Nothing lasts forever!

So is there another layer of sheathing under the plywood? Live and let live, I say. The meter base fasteners surely go through both layers and would need the power company to come out to pull the meter to fix.

32.gif
My FIL, a carpenter, swears by "Advantech" (sp?) chipboard; 50 year rot out warranty.

I'd make sure water can't pool or seep in around up top there. Caulk, or something better.

Yeah -- I'd paint the box. I painted all mine -- gas, electric, cable, etc. It looks much better. I also took PlastX to the meter windows, and it did wonders for removing the yellowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back