IMG_20220320_132040711_HDR.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20220320_132014261_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220320_132014261_HDR.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20220320_131940991_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220320_131940991_HDR.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 219
This is a serious issue that will down the almighty Ultra if they do not get it under control!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if it rattled or was loose inside upon installation (due to a broken leaf spring from being dropped)? The metal backed Ultra had a pretty heavy element assembly, it is definitely possible to break or collapse a leaf spring enough to allow the ADBV to move out of position.

After the oil change and filter drain, I turned the filter over to box it up and dispose of it and this is what I saw. I think I would have noticed this if it was like this prior to install. I'm thankful it caused no issues that I'm aware of. I don't know how old it was. I will buy a filter from Amazon to get to the free shipping threshold.

That's hogwash , the numbers are better
The numbers are basically the same (please, we don't need to turn this into another 20 page discussion, I've posted on this extensively) but they've shifted from a fully synthetic media to a cellulose blend, which costs less to produce and is likely the same media found in the ToughGuard, with a blown-on synthetic "topper" to increase holding capacity to extend its OCI length capability.

Wonder if it rattled or was loose inside upon installation (due to a broken leaf spring from being dropped)? The metal backed Ultra had a pretty heavy element assembly, it is definitely possible to break or collapse a leaf spring enough to allow the ADBV to move out of position.
I was going to ask the same thing about if the filter "rattled" if shook before installation (ie, loose guts).

This is not a wide spread problem. Actually, it's the first one posted by anyone here in the last 12 years (besides the one link to another chat board). If it was a big problem, BITOG would have seen many more reports of this going on. My bet is the guts were loose to some degree when the filter was installed.

Contact Fram and let them know, and don't cut it open. Fram will want it back untouched for diagnosis. They will send a return kit and pay for shipping.

Obviously not good. If you still have the filter could you post date code? This is the second similar displaced Ultra adbv anecdote posted about on this subforum.

As you say, seems you would have noticed if adbv in that condition upon installation, but maybe not. Also seems you 'might' have noticed if the element/internals rattled in the can (compromised flat spring) prior to installation, but maybe not. So, lots of speculation, but the fact that adbv stayed in the filter(unlike other similar anecdote) a very good thing.

Btw, have I have two post use OG XG7317 sitting here from Honda use, just a haven't gotten around to posting yet. Both of their internals look great.

Thanks for pics.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sugar coat it this much. I believe a couple other adbv defects were shown besides the two mentioned. The posts were deleted I think. One was half a valve or something and another one was off the base too. Honda buys the same kind of system from Fram. Pretty uncommon, but also pretty bad to not know until something happens. It is what it is just like with any brand of filter. I suppose if a Honda dealer finds one in an engine something will hit the fan hard enough.

I was going to ask the same thing about if the filter "rattled" if shook before installation (ie, loose guts).

This is not a wide spread problem. Actually, it's the first one posted by anyone here in the last 12 years (besides the one link to another chat board). If it was a big problem, BITOG would have seen many more reports of this going on. My bet is the guts were loose to some degree when the filter was installed.

Contact Fram and let them know, and don't cut it open. Fram will want it back untouched for diagnosis. They will send a return kit and pay for shipping.
We don't know yet if it is a wide spread problem do we?
No drama but this could be the start of more to come. (A bad run)
Yes agreed-don't cut it open. Great advice.

Back