Fram Ultra with Filter Mag pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Grand Marquis
150,000 miles
5,000 miles on filter/oil change
2,000 miles magnet was on filter.

I think the particles caught aren't totally showing as I had trouble removing the filter with the magnet on it and finally had to take it off. I tried to put it back on in the same place after removal.

P.S: The Meijer Syn oil is my top off oil. The GM takes 6 qts.

20190223_160201-907x1612.jpg

20190223_160335-907x1612.jpg

20190223_160212-907x1612.jpg

Last edited:
Yep it all looks good with the filter on its side in the oil along with the cutter.
Did your wife tell you to put away your toys?
lol.gif

Nice C&P.

Originally Posted by dblshock
I don't see any evidence the magnet captured anything.

Ummm. The bar shapes on the side of the filter.

It is meant to capture metal particles too small for the filter to catch.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by dblshock
I don't see any evidence the magnet captured anything.

Ummm. The bar shapes on the side of the filter.

It is meant to capture metal particles too small for the filter to catch.

Yep, the trapped particles are on the inside of the can, not on the magnet itself.

Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. The filtermag did it's job.

Why not use the Ultra for at least 2 if not 3 OCI next time?

For some reason using a dirty oil filter with clean oil seems sacrilegious and bothers me....:)

Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. The filtermag did it's job.

Why not use the Ultra for at least 2 if not 3 OCI next time?

For some reason using a dirty oil filter with clean oil seems sacrilegious and bothers me....:)

LOL well my guess is your wife doesn't wash your clothes with dirty water either!

so we have here...one picture with everything thrown together without any close detailed shots of the filter media, another shot with the surface of the magnets (like we dont know what magnets look like - maybe OP thought the particles were gonna attach to the actual magnet and not the inside of the filter container), and one last shot that obviously shows particles being kept from going through the filter.

Originally Posted by harry j
What Filtermag model did you use?

I think it is the SS 365

Originally Posted by DirtyOilGuy
so we have here...one picture with everything thrown together without any close detailed shots of the filter media, another shot with the surface of the magnets (like we dont know what magnets look like - maybe OP thought the particles were gonna attach to the actual magnet and not the inside of the filter container), and one last shot that obviously shows particles being kept from going through the filter.

Why because we don't know what an ultra looks like cut open? I like the evidence of the magnets working

Originally Posted by DirtyOilGuy

I'm sorry Dirtyoilguy. I was more interested in showing what the magnet caught even using a premium filter. Since there are other posts of cut open filters and there was no obvious defects or weird findings i skipped past the indepth filter pics.

To add to my original post.

I got the magnet for Christmas so that is why only 2,000 miles on it.

This is the first magnet used on this vehicle.

I will be curious to see what a second and full run shows.

If you have a baseline on UOA it would be interesting to see if it made a difference on your used oil analysis.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

If you have a baseline on UOA it would be interesting to see if it made a difference on your used oil analysis.

I agree, but I don't....:(

It would also be interesting to see how good these might work with a new vehicle and break-in wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back