Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter - Anyone have double gasket issues.

I'm considering using Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil filters for my Honda Odyssey's due to the filter's excellent filtration and high flow characteristics: Filtration 99+% > 20 microns, and high flow due to its synthetic media.

I ran into a worrisome potential blocker. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the filter is easily removeable by hand.
My fear is that could lead to gasket being left on and double gasketed during an oil change.
I have a local shop do my oil changes for me for $14 labor fee (I give them the oil and filter and they do the oil change for me).

I'm not looking to do the oil changes myself, but had a specific question to the forum:
For those who do their own oil changes with the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, do you see the oil filter's rubber gasket sticking to the oil pan after you remove the filter.

Thanks,
Bill

Nope have been using Fram oil filters since 1968 and never had a gasket stick or come off the filter....

I think I had one gasket stick (I believe it was a Fram Extra Guard) in dozens of oil changes. I always make a point to visually confirm that I have the old gasket out before installing the new one.

Every professional *should be mindful to do the same, as well as start the vehicle before driving it away to check for leaks.

There's a non-zero chance that any filter's gasket could stick.

I seem to remember a thread here recently in the filter subforum about someone checking out a new Ultra and noting that the gasket came off rather easily.

It doesn’t sound normal.

I'm considering using Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil filters for my Honda Odyssey's due to the filter's excellent filtration and high flow characteristics: Filtration 99+% > 20 microns, and high flow due to its synthetic media.

I ran into a worrisome potential blocker. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the filter is easily removeable by hand.
My fear is that could lead to gasket being left on and double gasketed during an oil change.
I have a local shop do my oil changes for me for $14 labor fee (I give them the oil and filter and they do the oil change for me).

I'm not looking to do the oil changes myself, but had a specific question to the forum:
For those who do their own oil changes with the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, do you see the oil filter's rubber gasket sticking to the oil pan after you remove the filter.

Thanks,
Bill
With all the things to worry about . Come on Man

I had that happen to me with the Fram orange can when I first started doing my own oil changes, now I always check for gasket before installing a new spin on filter no matter what brand filter I use.

While a concern proper installation totally mitigates this.
I always visually inspect the removed filter as well as the mounting surface before putting new filter on.

I use a lot of Fram Ultra XG2 filters, and the rubber gasket stays on about 50 percent of the time. Something I look at very closely when replacing the oil filter.

Your concern is very warranted.

This used to be a problem with the Fram Guard back in the 2000's. I've used Fram ultra for years without double gasket problem.

Checking that the filter gasket, after removal, is not stuck to the mounting plate on the engine is just one of the things for technicians to check before installing a new filter. It's one of the rules for an oil & filter change...

CHECK FOR THE GASKET - LUBE NEW FILTER GASKET WITH CLEAN OIL - INSTALL HAND TIGHT - TIGHTEN/TORQUE THE DRAIN BOLT - PUT IN NEW OIL! :oops:

Last edited:
But its 1 more thing to worry about that didn't need to be. Fram should have glued to rubber gasket to the filter housing on their top of the line model.

Fix the things you can fix.

Fram isn't going to glue the gaskets down, because that could actually cause seeping if the glue causes a gap between the filter and the gasket. I agree that they should design the crimps on the groove in such a way to retain the gasket, but I've had plenty of gaskets fall off brand new, and old Frams since I started changing oil in the '80s. It's just not a big deal.

If you don't have confidence in your shop to perform a competent oil change, you really should consider taking your business elsewhere. Keeping track of the gasket and cleaning the mating surface is in Oil Change 101.

Yep ... not rocket science. Any shop that doesn't clean and look at the filter mount before installing a new filter shouldn't be in business.

Exactly. Takes just a couple of seconds.

In over 45 years of changing oil on my vehicles I have always cleaned the mount and checked it before installing the new filter. I lube the gasket with clean oil too, even the Japanese filters that come prelubed. I have never had a problem with removal or leaking.

But its 1 more thing to worry about that didn't need to be. Fram should have glued to rubber gasket to the filter housing on their top of the line model.

No one would have that problem with a Denso or Roki filter with a P gasket.

Back