Fram ToughGuard vs Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see it readily in a search so thought I would just ask

I am a fan of the Fram Ultras but haven't paid attention for a couple years (and made a slight foray to Purolator ONE due to a gift card at Advance Auto but now moving back to Ultras)

I see that even the OCOD now has silicone ADB valve.

Has Fram improved the TG and EG lines? To the point that I would consider using an ToughGuard in place of an Ultra for 2X OCIs on a Honda? (which for me could be up to 15K miles?) I don't want to be pennywise and pound foolish here and probably will still look to get deals on Ultras even if a couple bucks more, but just curious in case I found TGs on a good sale or something, whether they were "great" filters too or just "good"

I see Ultra has full mesh screen etc

I've got a couple Ultras but they'll never see 20K miles. So I've gone back to TG and Purolator one blue can. I can't see spending the two extra dollars to use a filter for 20K and save myself about eight hundreds of a cent a mile.

I switched to the TG also. Too much startup noise using the Ultra. The only proven failures are the metal end cap/paper media Purolators. Those are the ones to stay away from.

Remember that Honda's OEM oil filter is something very close to the PH7317, so even that can do the 2-OCI schedule that Honda calls for. But still, it's so easy to change that you might as well replace the oil filter every OCI
smile.gif

I've ran the TG for 7500 miles OCIs in the past. It's a good filter but I only trust the Ultra (at least in the Fram lineup) for multiple OCIs.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I've got a couple Ultras but they'll never see 20K miles. So I've gone back to TG and Purolator one blue can. I can't see spending the two extra dollars to use a filter for 20K and save myself about eight hundreds of a cent a mile.

I can't see not spending the extra $2....
How much is that extra $2 costing you per mile.
Your spin on this was rather unique I must admit.
I have no issues with the TG but I also don't see the value in it.

Originally Posted by Zee09

I can't see not spending the extra $2....
How much is that extra $2 costing you per mile.
Your spin on this was rather unique I must admit.
I have no issues with the TG but I also don't see the value in it.

LOL that's why I said I wouldn't do it you'd save an eight hundredths of a cents a mile.

No one has presented any evidence having a ultra high efficiency filter helps engine longevity versus a oem filter. I have concluded flow is more important for the engine and the air filter is more important than the efficiency of the rock catcher.

I've used the TG and Ultra and I don't see much difference in them other than the full synthetic media and the ability for a longer OCI. It's not like the TG is worlds apart...they're mostly the same. In my estimation, the one dollar difference in my area doesn't mean too much if neither is going over 10K miles.

The only reason I went with a TG is because the Ultra is getting harder to find in my area...most of the auto parts places no longer carry the Ultra...and in terms of Fram, they only carry the ExtraGuard. My two local WalMarts and three local parts places no longer carry the Ultra and it's now become a bit of a search to find it elsewhere.

Originally Posted by dave1251
No one has presented any evidence having a ultra high efficiency filter helps engine longevity versus a oem filter. I have concluded flow is more important for the engine and the air filter is more important than the efficiency of the rock catcher.

No real thing as "flow over efficiency" with a positive displacement oil pump. And besides, most high efficiency synthetic media oil filters flow just as well or better than the cellulose filters. Less restrictive filters means less delta-p at the same flow rate, and as long as the PD is not in pressure releif the engine will still get the same flow with a bit more restrictive filter. The oiling system on an engine is not like a constant pressure source to your garden hose.

Cleaner oil results from higher efficiency filters ... and cleaner oil will always result in less engine wear. You probably won't "see or tell" the difference by driving your car, but having cleaner oil is better than not.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...lubles-vs-iso-particle-count#Post4859910

Originally Posted by Hogan773
Io the point that I would consider using an ToughGuard in place of an Ultra for 2X OCIs on a Honda? (which for me could be up to 15K miles?) I don't want to be pennywise and pound foolish here and probably will still look to get deals on Ultras even if a couple bucks more, but just curious in case I found TGs on a good sale or something, whether they were "great" filters too or just "good".

If your 2x OCIs could go to 15K then I'd just stick with the Ultra. Some headroom is always good.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Hogan773
Io the point that I would consider using an ToughGuard in place of an Ultra for 2X OCIs on a Honda? (which for me could be up to 15K miles?) I don't want to be pennywise and pound foolish here and probably will still look to get deals on Ultras even if a couple bucks more, but just curious in case I found TGs on a good sale or something, whether they were "great" filters too or just "good".

If your 2x OCIs could go to 15K then I'd just stick with the Ultra. Some headroom is always good.

Yeah that was my gut as well. Recently I just ran my Accord to minus 3000 miles past the MM (so about 8500 total) just due to some long driving trips this summer and I knowingly decided to let it run rather than change it and immediately be at 60% oil life, which could then place me for doing an oil change in January or February in Chicago temperatures......

So for a couple extra bucks, great to have the peace of mind. And if I can snag them in a coupon deal or off Ebay, then maybe no extra $$$ at all

Originally Posted by dave1251

Just saying they have proved information that they don't either. You make you call and I'll make mine.

Cleaner oil always means less engine wear ... every study ever done shows that. People won't be able to tell that by driving their car around, but controlled experiments have show this to be true many times over.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I've used the TG and Ultra and I don't see much difference in them other than the full synthetic media and the ability for a longer OCI. It's not like the TG is worlds apart...they're mostly the same. In my estimation, the one dollar difference in my area doesn't mean too much if neither is going over 10K miles.

The only reason I went with a TG is because the Ultra is getting harder to find in my area...most of the auto parts places no longer carry the Ultra...and in terms of Fram, they only carry the ExtraGuard. My two local WalMarts and three local parts places no longer carry the Ultra and it's now become a bit of a search to find it elsewhere.
It's true, you have to drive a lot over a short period of time. Most of the Ultra C&Ps I see on here are 10-15k miles.

Cleaner oil always means less engine wear ... every study ever done shows that. People won't be able to tell that by driving their car around, but controlled experiments have show this to be true many times over.

We agree but its his money.

We agree but its his money.

Well of course ... I could care less if someone doesn't even run and oil filter. I'm just pointing out that cleaner oil will always result in less wear ... pretty simple concept that's been proven many times with controlled experiments. Same goes with air filters ... or basically any filter for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back