Fram Titanium FS10575 C&P

@KCJeep wanted me to ask you that if these filters had louvers would that have stopped them from failing?
😆
Nope. By now, anyone reading this board should know that the root cause is very wide pleat spacing combined with weak brittle media. It's going to tear from the oil flow dP, which will be the same regardless of the center tube design. Because .... wait for it ... the positive displacement oil pump will supply the same flow regardless of the center tube. PD oil pump - the most misunderstood player in the oiling system. :LOL:

^^^ Recent example of torn media on a filter with louvers. Made by M+H/Purolator.

Photo from that thread with the exposure increased to show center tube.

1711134758366.jpeg

You guys have it twisted backwards too, lol. I've said wavy pleats are a not a big deal to worry about on any filter. It is only a beauty contest. So stop twisting this up. Now overly wide pleats, which is not the same thing as wavy pleats, can be a concern for obvious reasons.

I've never said wavy pleats constitute a "fail". I've said many times it's NOT an indication of a "fail", and also has no real connection to quality. Show me where I've said or claimed wavy pleats means a "failure". They may not look good in the C&P "beauty contest", but it's not a "failure". Some others here have that mindset, but I don't if you read a bit better. 😜 😄

Man, I can't keep track of all this. Wavy pleats are an indication of overall quality and are a fail, oversize pleats are a fail, louvers are a fail, anything Purolator is a fail, brittle media is a fail, wide pleats are a fail, and positive displacement oil pumps are the source of all things evil.

And I can't read. Did I get it that time? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

@fantastic didn't stop buying Purolators
I got a good deal on some older ones from eBay in a box I've been cycling through. Some folks have that old tape recording loop about things that happened in the past they're not able to overcome. Purolator is now a 100 year old company that makes a great filter period.
True fanboys are blind. Some people claimed that torn media isn't really anything to worry about. :LOL: If you recall, there were actually some here making that claim when all those torn Purolators were posted up.
"True Fanboys" don't claim "nothing wrong with torn pleats". They're just simply blind but you'd think their fingers would slip in the torn pleats. :LOL:

Last edited:
I got a good deal on some older ones from eBay in a box I've been cycling through. Some folks have that old tape recording loop about things that happened in the past they're not able to overcome. Purolator is now a 100 year old company that makes a great filter period.

"True Fanboys" don't claim "nothing wrong with torn pleats". They're just simply blind but you'd think their fingers would slip in the torn pleats. :LOL:

I'd actually use a PureOne, they have them at Menards here for a decent price and the efficiency is very good in my sizes. Pleats are a little wavy but no worse than the new "less is more" Ultra and for two bucks less to boot.

Man, I can't keep track of all this. Wavy pleats are an indication of overall quality and are a fail, oversize pleats are a fail, louvers are a fail, anything Purolator is a fail, brittle media is a fail, wide pleats are a fail, and positive displacement oil pumps are the source of all things evil.

What does of this have to do with failed louvers causing wavy pleats?

I'd actually use a PureOne, they have them at Menards here for a decent price and the efficiency is very good in my sizes. Pleats are a little wavy but no worse than the new "less is more" Ultra and for two bucks less to boot.
That's right, Menards was a good source for my Saturn's filter & lawn mower. "Save big money at Menards" stuck ringing in my mind...Don't forget 11%

You forgot the 99.876568% efficiency and 15 micron rating!

Looking at the fourth pic from the top filter #1, looks like it could 'almost' pass for a Purflux filter. 😉 Yeah, it got the job done for 5900 miles. Would "I" want to run for 15 or 20k rated miles? nah. Second one looks better. Titanium and XG a 10k mile max filter, 'for me.'

Thanks for c&ps.

Failure is all a state of mind. 😜 😄

Guess you missed post #24 above. 😄

What does of this have to do with failed louvers causing wavy pleats?
People seem to lose their minds over wavy pleats ... must have participated in too many beauty pageants or something. :unsure:😂

People seem to lose their minds over wavy pleats ... must have participated in too many beauty pageants or something. :unsure:😂
People have high expectations when spending top dollar on a filter. Any average joe on youtube that cut open filters are mostly going to judge how well the media held up over its rated service life. I say its a natural OCD reaction in seeing ugly pleat or worse case tearing.

People have high expectations when spending top dollar on a filter. Any average joe on youtube that cut open filters are mostly going to judge how well the media held up over its rated service life. I say its a natural OCD reaction in seeing ugly pleat or worse case tearing.
Wavy pleats don't do anything but "look bad". Some people are so hung up on wavy pleats now that they would use a filter that's total garbage efficiency if it has laser straight pleats after use. That's an indication that looks matter more than function or performance, and they don't really understand the purpose of filtration. Whatever floats their boat, I could care less what people buy and use. But it's kind of ridiculous when people base a filter's "quality" and functionality on if it has wavy pleats or not. 😄

People have been pointing out and talking about wavy filter pleats ever since I've been here, but when the Ultra went to the new media and wavy pleats were seen all the "wavy pleats craziness" started. Yet before that, nobody really cared, and seemed to understand that wavy pleats happens to all kinds of oil filters regardless of the brand and doesn't cause any real issues.

That's an indication that looks matter more than function or performance
And this here folks is why the Ricer aftermarket parts market exist. 🤡

Maybe oil filters manufacturers should focus more on this market segment, who cares about performance just make it look good and beefy so it screams performance at first glance!
(psst. its the purolator boss)

Back