Fram Titanium FS10575 C&P

Wavy pleats don't do anything but "look bad". Some people are so hung up on wavy pleats now that they would use a filter that's total garbage efficiency if it has laser straight pleats after use. That's an indication that looks matter more than function or performance, and they don't really understand the purpose of filtration. Whatever floats their boat, I could care less what people buy and use. But it's kind of ridiculous when people base a filter's "quality" and functionality on if it has wavy pleats or not. 😄

People have been pointing out and talking about wavy filter pleats ever since I've been here, but when the Ultra went to the new media and wavy pleats were seen all the "wavy pleats craziness" started. Yet before that, nobody really cared, and seemed to understand that wavy pleats happens to all kinds of oil filters regardless of the brand and doesn't cause any real issues.
Can you repeat this?
I still don't get it.. 😅

And this here folks is why the Ricer aftermarket parts market exist. 🤡

Maybe oil filters manufacturers should focus more on this market segment, who cares about performance just make it look good and beefy so it screams performance at first glance!
(psst. its the purolator boss)
I see what you did there. 😛

And this here folks is why the Ricer aftermarket parts market exist. 🤡

Maybe oil filters manufacturers should focus more on this market segment, who cares about performance just make it look good and beefy so it screams performance at first glance!
(psst. its the purolator boss)
That's what it's boiling down too. Pretty soon, nobody will even know what a micron is. 🙃 ;)

People have been pointing out and talking about wavy filter pleats ever since I've been here, but when the Ultra went to the new media and wavy pleats were seen all the "wavy pleats craziness" started. Yet before that, nobody really cared, and seemed to understand that wavy pleats happens to all kinds of oil filters regardless of the brand and doesn't cause any real issues.

Honestly if I was a long time Ultra user, I would have been upset as well discovering the media change to wire backed synthetic to thin bonded synthetic spray over cellulose synthetic blend backing. Its customer perception, which is why the cheapening has been a common complaint here.

For the record I did run one of the new gen Ultras but not long enough to really judge the pleating uniformity and visual integrity. Pretty sure it did its job well even its not the same as the former generation.

Honestly if I was a long time Ultra user, I would have been upset as well discovering the media change to wire backed synthetic to thin bonded synthetic spray over cellulose synthetic blend backing. Its customer perception, which is why the cheapening has been a common complaint here.
So much love for the OG Ultra that the change really caused a lot of rage and sadness it seems. o_O Crazy stuff ... life goes on just like when Purolators started tearing and people went off on the search for good replacements at that time for a new go-to filter. Ultra addicts can always step-up to the Endurance if they want what they had with the OG Ultra. Fram still shows the same performance specs for the new Ultra media, and I personally don't have any reason to not believe them. Wavy pleats don't impact that performance. Read more of the magazine besides just looking at the centerfold pictures. 😄

Last edited:
That's what it's boiling down too. Pretty soon, nobody will even know what a micron is. 🙃 ;)
Sadly thats what the marketing department is for really.

99% Dirt Removal Powah!
So much love for the OG Ultra that the change really caused a lot of rage and sadness it seems. o_O Crazy stuff ... life goes on just like when Purolators started tearing and people went off on the search for good replacement at that time their for a new go-to filter. Ultra addicts can always step-up to the Endurance if they want what they had with the OG Ultra. Fram still shows the same performance specs for the new Ultra media, and I personally don't have any reason to not believe them. Wavy pleats don't impact that performance. Read more of the magazine besides just looking at the centerfold pictures. 😄

I'm actually looking forward to having fun vetting some Donaldsons and Fleetguards filters someday e.g. the virgin cut open samples posted here a few weeks/months back. Probably because they're meant for the heavy duty market and not passenger vehicles haha.

Honestly oil filters are pretty interesting topic because nobody outside really talks about them from a detailed standpoint lol.
Like when car enthusiast talks about cars, its always about racing, engine tuning, performance mods, cosmetic mods. But really nobody talks about reliability mods such as better filtration & oil analysis, which is almost exclusively an industry equipment sector & fleet management topic for the most part.

1000017506-jpg.209464

Nope, What used to be widespread isn't so today. We could dig up a few failed filters from other brands too.
Seems to be mainly the M+H/Purolator made filters that are still showing media tears these days. Start keeping track and see for yourself. Those filters have some pretty brittle media, just like they did back in the peak tearing days. And brittle weak media does not play well with wide pleat spacing.

Here's what 15 minutes of searching for recent posts with torn media came up with. All of these are Mann+Hummel/Purolator made filters. You won't find many torn filters that are not M+H/Purolator made. Like I said above: Seems to be mainly the M+H/Purolator made filters that are still showing media tears these days.

2020 silverado 1500 5.3L 117,000miles
5900 miles in service

out/off: 8 quarts Mobil 1 EP HM 0w-20 with Fram Titanium FS10575

in/on: 8 quarts Valvoline EP HM 5w-30 with Carquest Premium 84502 (PG with silicone gasket)

wavy but no visible tears.

View attachment 209688

View attachment 209693

View attachment 209694

View attachment 209695

View attachment 209696

View attachment 209697

View attachment 209698

View attachment 209699

View attachment 209700
It was doing the twist and waving the whole time lol

Back