Fram TG8A 5k Miles Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil change was due for the 4.SLOW so as routine I cut open my filters.

Past oil change:
5w30 M1 HM on 5k oci. I decided to run M1 HM because it was the only oil I tried that completely silenced my lifter tick. I've used it before but previous oil change was Pennzoil High Mileage and my jeep just ticks like a banshee on cold starts with it. So I only ran the 5w30 for 5k miles over winter with the TG8A.

This oil change:
10w40 M1 HM and another TG8A filter. Plan on going for a 6.5k oci this time. I think the oil is up to the task.

I drove it around today and I forgot how much my 4.0 seems to love 10w40. Smooooooooooth and uber quiet at idle.

Filter looked great as usual... Always seems like the seem pleats are spread apart farther. Oh well.

Oh, and some yummy stuff.

Have a great Friday and a happy weekend everyone.

Last edited:
Looks like a tear at the bottom of the wide pleat in the first photo.

A closer inspection might be warranted there.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Looks like a tear at the bottom of the wide pleat in the first photo.

A closer inspection might be warranted there.

That's just left over oil that is sitting in it. In the picture the filter was leaning back. I can take another picture for you though

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
As long as you're happy, an additional photo is not necessary.

Thanks.

No, I insist :),

Better to remove doubt when able to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You could probably run that two OCIs

That's what I'm doing for the TG in the Matrix. 15k total miles.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You could probably run that two OCIs

That's what I'm doing for the TG in the Matrix. 15k total miles.

Please do a cut and post. I am very interested to see what that looks like!

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Nothing to cut it open with. I also have an MC filter from the previous interval with 10k on it. If you want I can send them to you for a C&P. Just PM with name and address if you want.

JeepWJ19 - This one looks great to me. Thanks for the cut & post. Sometimes the Purolator fan boys go into overdrive when a non-Purolator filter has a positive outcome.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Nothing to cut it open with. I also have an MC filter from the previous interval with 10k on it. If you want I can send them to you for a C&P. Just PM with name and address if you want.

Lol nah I don't want to cut open any more than what I have too. But thanks. I just cut mine open with tin snips. People buy these special cutting tools, it just takes me 7minites with a cheap pair of tin snips and some hand strength.

Lol nah I don't want to cut open any more than what I have too. But thanks. I just cut mine open with tin snips. People buy these special cutting tools, it just takes me 7minites with a cheap pair of tin snips and some hand strength.

Someone offered to cut some open for me on here but it would cost about $3 in shipping for one filter. Which is about the cost of a new ST filter at Walmart. Maybe I will get some cheap tin snips at Harbor Freight. Where did you get your snips and how much were they?

Here is a video I found when researching filter cutters. I did not want to spend $60.00 on a cutting tool. I cut my first filter last weekend and this video gave me the info I needed:

The guy is using the wrong snips to cut, if you cut in a counter clockwise direction you should use the red-handled snips but the idea is the same. I bought my tin snips set off the Snap-On truck about 33 years ago and they are still working great but I would imagine the cheap set at HF would do fine for occasional use. My snips cut the top off a Purolator-made Carquest filter clean as a whistle, but other filters might have thicker gauge metal cans so YMMV.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ope#Post4403900

Jimmy9190 said:
Here is a video I found when researching filter cutters. I did not want to spend $60.00 on a cutting tool. I cut my first filter last weekend and this video gave me the info I needed:

The guy is using the wrong snips to cut, if you cut in a counter clockwise direction you should use the red-handled snips but the idea is the same. I bought my tin snips set off the Snap-On truck about 33 years ago and they are still working great but I would imagine the cheap set at HF would do fine for occasional use. My snips cut the top off a Purolator-made Carquest filter clean as a whistle, but other filters might have thicker gauge metal cans so YMMV.

Ooops...I apologize for my dead link, and also apologize for my error. I watched the video again and he is using the red handled tin snips. I was in a hurry when I posted this yesterday. Here is my correct link showing the filter can cut open cleanly with tin snips:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ope#Post4403900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back