Fram "industrial" Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on our new (to us) Farmall 806. Apparently it has a spin-on adapter of some sorts on it as the original filter would have been a cartridge type.

Regardless, This is what was on there. Unknown hours and unknown duration. We bought it from my wife's uncle who bought it from a neighbor's auction a year before we bought it. When I was asking him about it he said he didn't change the oil in the time that he had it, but he didn't ever really use it either. When I got it the oil was still clear as a bell, so it probably didn't have any time on it at all.

I saved it to cut open an "industrial" fram to see if they are made any better than the typical frams I have cut open in the past.

i'll let the pictures tell the story, but needless to say I will NEVER use one of these on again. Sorry for the low quality pics, my camera isn't the greatest.

0406151815_zpslfga6m0u.jpg

0406151818_zpsgkcifihd.jpg

0406151819_zpsmu3fqrxf.jpg

0406151819a_zpsugd9p91c.jpg

0406151820_zpskm2srwls.jpg

at least the filter media looked good....
plenty of media and nice and straight.
0406151820a_zpsqohhqhp2.jpg

0406151820b_zpsljy9nubv.jpg

0406151821_zpsjn8f3jhf.jpg

0406151821a_zpsylznvkw5.jpg

not sure what the little springy thing inside the spring is all about ...
0406151822_zpshademeat.jpg

judging by the witness marks, the valve never did seal
0406151824_zpsjjv9alhv.jpg

0406151824a_zpsddwp7qmo.jpg

I will say this, though, the treaded end is tough as nails. I had to get out my 2-foot pipe wrench to get the filter off is was that tight. no signs of physical damage from being that tight, though.

this filter sits "nose down" so the only thing keeping the filter primed is the ADBV, and that obviously never sealed so at every start up the engine had to run dry until the filter was full once again. not really good, IMO, especially considering the size of the filter.

this was replaced with a NAPA filter, so maybe in a year or so i'll cut that one open and compare.

The spring thing is your internal bypass valve to relieve pressure on the media if the differential pressure is too high.

The media looks good, not sure about the anti drain back valve. It's a nitrile rubber valve so if it was left on too long it could have hardened even with low miles the heat cycles harden it.

I would choose a filter with a silicone anti drain back valve, usually you can see the orange color through the top of the filter if you want a silicone valve even though sometimes it's a different color.

If the Farmall originally had a cartridge filter, the filter might not even get the full flow of the oil pump (lots of cartridge filters from the 40s and 50s were partial flow filters- a bit like a bypass filter today. In that case, the engine wouldn't have been dry-starting.

That thing is packed with pleats! x2 on a faulty ADBV. Did the tractor sit outside? That filter is Kubota peach colored. Not sure how long it takes the pain to fade, but I bet it was in service for a few years at least.

My neighbor has a Farmall that used to take a cartridge filter until he put the adapter on it. Filter changes are cheaper that way. It can take anything with the 3/4"-16 thread. He's currently running a PH16. I asked him to save it for me for a dissection.
laugh.gif

could be. i'll try to remember to dig it out of the trash and look.

doesn't really matter to me how old it is, though. an ADBV failure of that nature is inexcusable under any duration of use.

I have to remember to look at my NAPA filter and see if it has a silicone valve or not.... thinking it does, but I'm not sure.

also considering a smaller (cheaper) filter with the same thread. there is no way i'll ever reach the capacity of that filter before I change it (which I expect will be yearly, or bi-yearly at most).

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
So what exactly about this filter is "industrial"? It looks like every other orange can but for the lack of Sure-Grip coating...

In most cases (speaking about car items against their industrial cousin) under the global standards in place today when you see the term “industrial” That product is either designed against an industrial standard not within the SAE criteria or against an industrial application. (Or both)

It’s clearly NOT an indicator of anything “superior” as far as performance goes regardless of what marketing agents want to subtly imply and want you to believe but not directly state because of liability under advertising laws.

In fact, depending on the application it could be inferior to a non-industrial component.

I also know after doing work at companies like Cat and Deere that many times (if it is not a critical factor) they will spec out a COTS (Common off the Shelf) item for their unit with little to no testing just to save some money.

A lot of things go into that term including what the product fits versus what it may have been designed against. Knowing that you can be sure that “better” is not part of the title.

Said Honeywell on it so it was made before 2011 ish.

in reference to the "industrial" in the title, i used the term as a throwback to my days selling parts. we had a section of filters that fit tractors and what-not which we always referred to as "the industrial section"

also when looking them up in the catalog we had to look under "industrial applications"

so as ISO said, i used the term referring to application more than anything, albeit without thinking much about it as that is the was i was trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back