Fram Extra Guard is the best bang for your buck.

I think that this filter is the best bang for your buck right now. It's less than $4 on Amazon and at Walmart. It's got a silicone anti drain back valve, cellulose and glass media, and is rated for a 10,000 mile drain interval. It's 95.7% efficient @ 20 microns using the ISO 4548-12 test. Don't let the fiber end caps scare you away.

Technical information.

So what do you think?

I think that this filter is the best bang for your buck right now. It's less than $4 on Amazon and at Walmart. It's got a silicone anti drain back valve, cellulose and glass media, and is rated for a 10,000 mile drain interval. It's 95.7% efficient @ 20 microns using the ISO 4548-12 test. Don't let the fiber end caps scare you away.

Technical information.

So what do you think?
Right now all my Fram Extra Guards at my Walmart are rocking black nitrile? adbv's

Champ XL is the best thing for your buck oil filter.
I will say that it's a great filter but with shipping it costs more than a Fram Ultra, hence not the best bang for your buck. It's $8.61 on RockAuto once you calculate shipping, and it's $8.99 on Amazon prime.

Can you tell me more about fiber end caps being a bonus? Not sarcasm.
Nothing really deep other than they are attached better to the filter element than a metal cap. Other than a fully synthetic filter it's really not necessary to have metal end caps although many people look at them as better. I actually prefer the Toyota/Denso style where there is no end cap as that seems best. But each his own.

Nothing really deep other than they are attached better to the filter element than a metal cap. Other than a fully synthetic filter it's really not necessary to have metal end caps although many people look at them as better. I actually prefer the Toyota/Denso style where there is no end cap as that seems best. But each his own.
This is interesting to me, although I'm not familiar with the Toyota/Denso design. After considering all my options, I was considering the Ultra, despite not being the best value, because it has metal end caps. If I knew the Tough Guard, with it's fiber end caps, could hold up to a 1 year OCI for 5,000 miles, I'd go that route.

I'm not superstitious about oil filters. Anything that can be quantified, I'm open to.

On filters with metal caps there's so much more glue, it's like the end cap is really a big hunk of glue and the metal is just there to hold it while it cures, with a metal end cap there's more room for error with excess glue slopped on the pleats or chunks of glue that have came loose. Also the carboard caps theoretically give the media more capacity to buffer moisture contamination before the media gets too saturated and fails.

I will say that it's a great filter but with shipping it costs more than a Fram Ultra, hence not the best bang for your buck. It's $8.61 on RockAuto once you calculate shipping, and it's $8.99 on Amazon prime.

If you order multiple Champ XL filters from Rock Auto the shipping cost goes down with every additional filter ordered within one single order. It is very easy to get the total cost per unit to $4-$5 on Rock Auto and I surmise that many if not most people would prefer to use that filter instead of an orange can.

I just can't bring myself to use an orange can when there are better choices at the same or slightly more in cost. Specifications and real world use do prove it to be an ok filter - I get that - it's just my personal opinion that it is not a filter I like.

The Orange can is okay for cars driven less then 10k a year that get two oil changes annually.

Back