Fram extended guard cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter has 16000 km on it. The back plate looks cheap as usual for American made Frams but otherwise the filter is OK in my opinion. Extremely overpriced though.

Thanks!! What vehicle & Km's on the vehicle?

I'll stay with Wix/NAPA Gold or Amsoil EAO.

This is the only filter by FRAM for automotive applications that lacks the cardboard end-caps correct?

Looks like a well-made piece.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Thanks!! What vehicle & Km's on the vehicle?

I'll stay with Wix/NAPA Gold or Amsoil EAO.

Most likely a Honda of some sort since it's a 3593A.

My question is and has always been, why does the Extended Guard filter get metal end caps and the orange can and tough guard get paper end caps? If the paper end caps are "just fine" as the fram supporters on here preach, then why go to the extra expense of using metal?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
My question is and has always been, why does the Extended Guard filter get metal end caps and the orange can and tough guard get paper end caps? If the paper end caps are "just fine" as the fram supporters on here preach, then why go to the extra expense of using metal?

Shhh!

I bought a couple of these filters on sale in Canada. I used one on my Acura RSX Type S (no picture since the car was sold with the Fram installed). I took the second one to Russia and used it on my Dacia Solenza. The filter did not fit quite well, hence some damage on the gasket (you can see that): the gasket diameter was a bit smaller than the contact area on the engine but everything worked fine.

If you ask me if I would use these filters again, the answer would be no. Although they did not fall apart but I dont't see any advantages of using them over any OEM filter. Even infamous OEM blue Honda filter with paper end caps would do the job just as well if not better.

The orange Fram (and all rebaged version) is a different story. Here is a pic of a Canadian Tire Formula 1 filter. Huge hole in the media, uneven spacing
CIMG0011.jpg

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Extra Guard is designed for longer OCI's, Orange-can is not.

So there is an inherent flaw with the paper end capped frams when compared to frams metal end capped (and cheaper,at least in the US) counterparts?

If fram would just admit that using paper end caps is purely economics at least I would have some respect for them, I still would never use their product, but I would have some respect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back